Menu

Could use some perspective

So this is my first year homeschooling. I read WTM last year, and was really drawn to many aspects of it, but I had a newborn, and so my then 5yo went to public kindy. Now we've decided to try HSing. The now 6yo is excited by that; he didn't have a bad year, his teacher was great [enthusiastic, engaging], but it was still school: lots of sitting, waiting, busy work, homework, plus the stupid school calendar that had us in school from late August through mid/late June. :(

Anyway.

So I'm trying to decide what curric's to use. I'm definitely going to use SOTW. I really like that. In fact we started this week with that already.

I had been planning to use AAS as a combined phonics/spelling, and maybe ETC to supplement, and maybe FLL, plus just lots of books from the library. But reading WTM again, I see that it recs the OPGTR, and to finish that BEFORE FLL [am I reading that right?], and to finish at least half of OPGTR before starting any spelling. So now I'm conflicted.

I don't want to say money is not an object, but it's certainly one of my lowest considerations. OTOH, I don't want to throw money at curric I end up not using.

DS [the 6yo, that is] knows all his consonant sounds, knows the short vowel sounds, and many long vowels. He knows some blends, and a few digraphs. If you're familiar with Fountas & Panell [sp?], he's comfy on a C level, and D is an acceptable challenge.

I really like how FLL ties in the art, and I'd thought to start that later in the year when we were more comfy. I'm still debating on a handwriting too; I like the flow of D'Nealian or Italics, but so much is in Z-B [ETC for example], that I thought maybe I should just go that route.

If it matters, I'm pretty much unschooling in science except what we pull from SOTW because that is a huge interest area for him, so I'll have no problem covering that just to satiate his curiosity. I'm leaning towards Singapore math, and maybe Mammoth to supplement. Art, music, PE/health as it ties to life and interest and comes up with other areas.

Thanks!

I had been planning to use AAS as a combined phonics/spelling, and maybe ETC to supplement, and maybe FLL, plus just lots of books from the library. But reading WTM again, I see that it recs the OPGTR, and to finish that BEFORE FLL [am I reading that right?], and to finish at least half of OPGTR before starting any spelling. So now I'm conflicted.

My dd figured out how to spell first, and is still learning how to read. She's starting 1st grade in a few weeks here at home with me. My ds figured out how to read from listening to me teach my dd in K while playing trains on the floor of the school room. He's not even 4 yrs. old. I've already had to deviate from "the plan" and one of my children isn't even in school yet! LOL

If you have the elements on hand, as your child is ready, you can add to your schedule. Having homeschoolers on both sides of my family, the best piece of advice I received from all is to be additive when starting the school year. In other words, start the school year with a few subjects. Then, continue to add more work in the school day as the first subjects become routine.

My dd figured out how to spell first, and is still learning how to read. She's starting 1st grade in a few weeks here at home with me. My ds figured out how to read from listening to me teach my dd in K while playing trains on the floor of the school room. He's not even 4 yrs. old. I've already had to deviate from "the plan" and one of my children isn't even in school yet! LOL

If you have the elements on hand, as your child is ready, you can add to your schedule. Having homeschoolers on both sides of my family, the best piece of advice I received from all is to be additive when starting the school year. In other words, start the school year with a few subjects. Then, continue to add more work in the school day as the first subjects become routine.

Thanks. :) I am trying to start slow, and I know I don't have to follow the "plan" exactly. It's just... without having the books in front of me, I'm not sure what will work together? Which are better? I keep reading reviews, and looking at sample lessons, but since I can't get everything all on one page [i guess I need to take better notes] it's hard to make those final decisions.

Ah! I break down Language Arts in the following way for now, and here's what I'm using.

Spelling -- Spelling Workout (I think - bookshelf is upstairs!)

Reading -- OPGTR (started in K)

Writing -- copywork (started in K)

Phonics -- EtC (started in K)

English -- FLL

I'm not exactly sure when FLL will fold into the schedule. It may not be until later in the fall. She likes knowing the "whys," so learning the mechanics of language should be a mid-term lift for her.

Could I do this with less? Sure. I have a workbook lover though, so things like Spelling Workout and EtC give her a thrill. ;)

OPGTR provides me with the phonetically useful, organized readings to help her gain confidence in reading. In my case, since reading hasn't quite clicked with my dd, this is very valuable. For my ds, it probably will be more of a checkbox...

I was just about to email you about spelling programs! LOL I was reading up on All About Spelling just now, and it looks great! Much more teacher-intensive, but likely more effective at helping kids learn spelling rules (and probably more fun). If any of my kids struggle with spelling in future, I will likely switch & try it out. I'm hoping the phonics work combined with Spelling Workout will be enough for them.

I have OPGTR here, and also Phonics Pathways. I'm planning on using PP with the older two, and probably both with the younger two. PP, at first glance, appears simpler & easier to use (OPGTR is perhaps overly scripted for my taste? Despite the fact that I enjoyed the scripts in FLL), but I see some lessons in OPGTR that look really valuable. I will probably continue with both programs unless one is clearly not working for the kids. We might skim/skip some parts of OPGTR. Hmm...I'm noticing PP says it provides clear steps to easy reading AND perfect spelling. :)

I highly rec Explode the Code. We've started it early & it's a big hit with the kids. :) I really like it.

I really like FLL, but I think you'd be fine starting it later in the year. E covered grades 1 & 2 both in his 1st grade year, and we didn't have any problems.

We're combining Singapore & Math Mammoth this year. We're doing Singapore 2 days a week, Math Mammoth 2 days a week, and Singapore's Challenging Word Problems on Fridays. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck with the Story of the World! It looks like a lot of fun. :D I'm looking forward to starting it when we're done with Five in a Row.