Menu

Language Lessons for Little Ones?

mommy123

By Sandi Queen vol 1-3... Has anyone used it? Did you like it? Why or why not?

Yes, ds (7) and I used all 3 volumes for Pk - 1st grade. We used Phonics Pathways to learn to read, but Queen's Language Lessons for Little Ones for a full language arts program. It was a gentle introduction to language arts. When we started he was just learning to write his letters and reading 3 letter words. By the end he was copying complete paragraphs, knew the basic types of sentences with end punctuation, and had reviewed/ reinforced the phonics he learned from PP. I greatly enjoyed the poetry lessons, creative writing / story telling, and picture study. We both loved using it. The lessons were really, really short though. It generally took us 5 minutes to complete the lesson along with a quick review. Since I want a light school day for my littles, this was perfect. I must admit I was amazed how much he learned dispite the short lessons, and he's well prepared to begin Rod & Staff English 2 this year. I plan on using it with dd 1, when she's ready for preschool. :001_smile:

Guest Cindie2dds

Very Young is after Little Ones 3. They are beautiful books and my dd really enjoyed them. We did Little Ones 1 and 2 last year during Kindergarten while I was on the road. It's really meant to be done anywhere. From what I remember, Sandi came up with the first volume she wrote because her son was in the hospital and she wanted him to have some normalcy, so she created Language Lessons. It includes art appreciation, poetry, copywork/handwriting, some drawing, phonics (in Vol. 3, I think). If we hadn't gone with Oak Meadow for a complete curricula, we would still be using them today.

We've used Vols 1-2 and ds (a wiggly all boy type kid) loved it --he didn't quite grasp the need to do one small portion a day though (a plus in my book). We would typically do a page in a day and then I wouldn't get it out for awhile. I thought the pics were lovely --he found them funny bec they looked "old, you know mom like when you were little." UGH! We will be using vol 3 this year.

For what it's worth I switched all my kids to her LA at their request and while I was concerned that it might not be enough --they are getting it, they don't complain, they requested it and their test scores were in the upper 90th%tiles on the IOWA.