Menu

Is 4th Grade old enough to be learning about...

rootsnwings

...lynching? :001_huh:

I just had to explain what a lynching was to my 9 year old, after he read about it in his Grammar book. :confused: He was identifying the four types of sentences using material that discussed Ida B. Wells and one of the sentences was, "In 1892 some friends of hers were lynched by a mob."

I know at some point they're going to have to know about these things but geeze! I felt like I just ripped away some of his innocents!!!! :(

I think it depends on the family and the child. I wouldn't hesitate to explain lynching to my 5-year-old if it came up. I explained the basics of slavery to her about a year ago, when we were visiting Mount Vernon and she wanted to know what a particular building was. It turned out to be a slave hut.

...lynching? :001_huh:

I just had to explain what a lynching was to my 9 year old, after he read about it in his Grammar book. :confused: He was identifying the four types of sentences using material that discussed Ida B. Wells and one of the sentences was, "In 1892 some friends of hers were lynched by a mob."

I know at some point they're going to have to know about these things but geeze! I felt like I just ripped away some of his innocents!!!! :(

I don't think it's the age as much as you being blindsided by it. I mean really, from a grammar book? Come on.

Yes, I'd expect to explain this in the context of our history studies or a field trip or something, but grammar? Sorry.

Just out of curiousity, which grammar book was it? (So the rest of us aren't blindsided, too.:tongue_smilie:)

Yes, I'd expect to explain this in the context of our history studies or a field trip or something, but grammar? Sorry.

I agree! I meant to say something about that earlier.

Is it possible that the Grammar is part of some kind of integrated program where this would have been mentioned in the associated history studies or something?

Very possible about the integration with a history program. We're using K12's LA4 this year & I know their History & Art programs are integrated by time periods so the LA could very well be somewhat integrated too. We're only doing the LA part though so IDK what's going on in their History program at this point...

I think you guys hit the nail on the head--I was COMPLETELY blindsighted!!!!

The workbook is called "Exercises in Grammar" and it has a really cute/sweet puppy on the front. TOTALLY did not expect the topic of lynching to come up in exercise 2!!!!!!!

My 8yo knows what lynching is. She asked after coming across an offhand reference to a lynch mob in some book she was reading. I don't think you need get into the nitty gritty; if a child is old enough to know that executions have and do take place, they are old enough to know they sometimes happen extralegally. I think that it's not unreasonable to assume that most 10yo's have heard the term "lynch mob" at one time or another, particularly in the context of the Old West.