Menu

Need Help: TOG Rhetoric

We're doing Tapestry Year 1 Hist., Lit., Gov. & Worldview Readings (We do the A&T and the Bible Survey questions orally)

Does the following seem about right?

M-Th: 1 hour for writing, 3 hours reading & 30 min. for an extra's like the timeline, map etc...

F: 2 hour discussion & evaluation (about 30 mins)

Weekend: 1 hour or so of the next weeks reading

Morning:

Devotions

Saxon Algebra 2

TOG Yr 1

Afternoon:

4 days Biology 1 day Analytical Grammar HS World Authors (Fridays only)

Latin Road to English Grammar

College Prep

(chiming in, since I promised to help with TOG R questions in exchange for help with Physics! ;))

Looks pretty good. My only thought is that the M-Th reading/writing time is about 4 hours each day - is that right? That's pretty generous, but I'll bet will work out well.

I'm not sure you can do R discussions in 2 hours for ALL of those subjects. (History, Govt, Worldview, and Literature). Maybe the first three would work in a 2-hour block, but you need at least 45 minutes to an hour for the Lit discussions - maybe more.

Does that help?

Yeah, :blush: I put it at about 4 hours.. for interruptions or a heavier week (give or take some for the writing/reading). I don't "expect" 3 hours of straight reading; just allowing that 4 hour block to get all TOG done etc.

Maybe that's still too much, though.

~ Do you think 3 hours will be sufficient to still allow for "life"?

I think I will want to move another TOG Talk (as we call them) to Fri. Thanks for pointing this out. I will want that when we get to Homer for sure.

(We do the A&T and the Bible Survey questions orally)

I think this is a good idea most of the time, but sometimes filling out the charts is really necessary to organize all of the information. We are about to start Year 4, but I seem to remember several charts being part of the AQ's. For instance, filling out comparison charts between civilizations will help with the learning process. Also, I really saw my students grow in their thinking when faced with rhetoric level questions. They think they know the answer, but learning how to verbalize that answer in writing is part of the growing and learning process. I require one or two well developed essays from the TQ's per unit. If you are using Writing Aids, that will be built in anyway.

Looks pretty good. My only thought is that the M-Th reading/writing time is about 4 hours each day - is that right? That's pretty generous, but I'll bet will work out well.

I'm not sure you can do R discussions in 2 hours for ALL of those subjects. (History, Govt, Worldview, and Literature). Maybe the first three would work in a 2-hour block, but you need at least 45 minutes to an hour for the Lit discussions - maybe more.

Does that help?

:iagree: We have all of our discussions at co-op, and the total time is 3 hours with a little writing instruction built into the Lit class. (Our Lit classes use the "cutting chart" to eliminate some works and allow for more writing instruction.)

Well, Deborah, here's the thing. . . . . .

I, um - don't know - :blush:

See, when my kids are in R, I just say, "Here's when you have to be prepared for discussion. See you then." I don't really budget their time. . . maybe I should have, b/c my eldest dd had a REALLY hard time getting things finished. Which is a long story in and of itself, but she teaches and dances at the local ballet school, so she just worked until she got it done.

Does that make sense?

My next R student - ds14 - will be a different story altogether. His schedule outside of school is easier to handle. So - yes, I "think" that 2 hours of reading per day is enough.

To finish answering your questions:

usually, 4-5 days a week, again, depending on the load and how much was accomplished other days.

As to being done. Hm. Usually we "end" our school day around 2:30 or 3, b/c we leave the house for extracurriculars. Everyone knows if they don't get something done, it goes with them or they play catch-up at night.

Is that at all helpful? Probably not. . . . you may just have to see what happens during the first unit, give yourself and your kids a LOT of grace, and adjust as necessary.

Sounds like my whole life, actually ;)