Menu

Which Calculator?

Hi folks,

I'm currently studying Basic Math via DVD from The Great Courses (or The Teaching Company if you're an american). I'm fast approaching the chapter where calculators are introduced. I'd like to buy one calculator, rather than several, so what calculator should I buy if I hope to continue my math studies?

I'm torn between the following:

Which one do you think I should opt for?

The course teaches TI-15, but also suggest TI-73, but I'm thinking longer term...

Thanks in advance,

Yabusame

Edited by Yabusame

When I had researched this, I found that the TI-Nspire was the most versatile. But you have to consider if their instructions will be based on using one of the first two you listed. I would imagine that the procedures would be different on this one as it's like the TI-84 plus with more options with a different key pad.

This chart may help you, but it doesn't list the first two you mentioned.

http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/nonProductSingle/graphing_course_comparision.html

The technology changes so quickly with calculators. You might be better off with one of the first two listed, or a scientific calculator, and then look at the more expensive ones when you get to the point of needing them. With technology, prices drop. : )

Edited by Teachin'Mine

TI-30XIIS

It's cheap but uses the same keystrokes as the graphing calculators (83/84/NSpire). You can get it online or at any office store, Target, Walmart.

For what you're doing now, this is going to be plenty.

Personally, I'm anti graphing calculator as a general rule until you're in precalc. They're a useful tool in many ways but all too often they're misused.

You can always get a graphing calculator later - and you'll be familiar with the basic keys/keystrokes from the 30xiis.

I use both a graphing and a "regular" calculator depending on the need at that moment. In fact, within a 1-hour period, I can switch between the 2 several times.

The TI-84 Plus is absolutely amazing! I highly recommend it. It is great for doing linear (and other) regression analyses, permutations/combinations, and so much more.

It is overkill, though, for many basic needs.

For less demanding needs, we simply use a Texas Instruments solar-powered scientific calculator.

I had a similar question about calculators. Thanks to the great advice on this board, we bought the TI 30XIIS. My daughter is finding it easy to use. They're available at Target during the school sales for about $13. They also come in different colors. Probably doesn't matter to most kids but my daughter was excited to get a raspberry pink one.

Thanks for your advice everyone. Based on your recommendation, I'm going to opt for the TI-30XIIS as it seems to be all the calculator I'll need for some time to come (plus its a lot cheaper than a graphing calculator).

As was suggested, I'll look into purchasing a graphing calculator when I have the need, and not just the desire, to do so.

Thanks all, I think you've saved me a lot of money here!