Menu

Anyone used Essential Literary Terms?

I want to begin covering literary analysis this year, but I have so much going on that I don't want to add someone else's writing assignments (IEW curriculum). I'm sticking pretty close to SWB's writing ideas. Has Essential Literary Terms been useful? I'm thinking I could just choose one lit. term per week or so on my own and explain it. Some will turn into writing assignments, and some just discussions.

So what does this book offer? Are the samples useful? Anything else? I'm sure that I don't plan to cover all 100+ literary terms... ever. I just want to have them really comfortable with the basics.

Thanks,

Tracie

We used it last year and will continue to use it sporadically this year. I liked the book a lot. It gives thorough explanations of the term with lots of examples from literature. The girls enjoyed seeing if they could identify the literature. We sometimes did exercises (there were not always exercises that suited us) and sometimes I made up easier exercises. We also had a copy of "Figuratively Speaking" on hand which had some simpler exercises. We did all this while using Literary Lessons from LOR, which had lots of literary terms as well. HTH!

I have it, plus the hard-to-find instructor's guide. SWB had it at her booth at the Dulles, VA, curriculum fair last year. If I had had it before dd studied for her AP Language & Comp exam, she would have used it to study. It's a good fit for that. I'm trying to get through it myself, and plan to use it with my youngers when they get to high school age. I'll spread it out over 2-4 years (haven't decided yet).

It's a great book, but dense and best used in small doses.

Below is information about the instructor's guide. BTW, I sure wish PHP sold it (hint, hint). I only found *one* for sale on the internet (on abebooks after searching http://www.dealoz.com). You could also try calling People's Education at 1-800-822-1080 - maybe they will sell you one. I tried emailing them but they didn't answer my request.

Essential Literary Terms: Answers to Exercises by Sharon Hamilton, 2009, pub. by Norton, ISBN 978-1-4138-8423-4.

GardenMom