Menu

writing - rhetoric

Guest Barb B

Guest Barb B

I am finding many college freshman comp. courses are Rhetoric/argument writing. Ds (rising 12th grade) has done persuasive writing, but not the rhetorical writing these courses have. I would like to introduce him to this (without overwhelming). When I research possible sources to use I get huge overwhelming sized textbooks. Anyone have a nice (short) introduction to this kind of writing? I did come on OWL (online writing center at Purdue) that discusses this (plus the Toulmin Method,and argument falacies. . . ). Perhaps this is enough? I don't want to send him to college next year and have this type of writing be totally new.

Barb

College rhetoric/writing programs can be very different from one another. At the University of California in my city, there are six "mini" (actually pretty big) colleges along the Oxford model, and each has not only its own set of general ed requirements but its own writing program. I taught in one for two years while several of my friends taught in different ones -- the differences were quite large.

Recently someone posted a link, which naturally I no longer have, to the University of Chicago's writing advice for incoming students (University of Chicago Writing Program). I printed it all out and it's excellent.

Another place to look to get a feel for different types of writing is the New York Times education section, which has a number of articles on writing based on the kinds of major pieces (not just news journalism) you would find in the paper, with links to samples and models kids can use. Again, I don't have the link -- my links to the Times never work for some reason -- but you could google NYT writing lesson plans and see what comes up.

I have a PhD in literature and writing; and these two sources, the UChicago advice and the NYT, are what I am using for my daughter's high school writing general guide.

Also, remember that one of the single most valuable skills you can teach your child in preparation for ANY college class is how to visit a professor's office hours and ask questions. A student should never, ever feel too frightened to do this, or feel he is imposing on the professor's time, or asking something too stupid for words. Office hours are the best way to get help for a class -- even if you're not sure exactly what it is you don't understand.

Have you looked at Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student by Corbett? I have it and decided that my 15yo isn't ready for it yet. I'm saving it for 16 or 17. I would think a senior could cover it in one year.

It has very logical, detailed explanations of the types of arguments, how to arrange your points, and suggestions for style.

I have a couple of suggestions:

- Do writing the way SWB suggests, as outlined in her high school writing mp3 download (available for $4 from PHP) and the WTM. In both she gives a plan, but I've found the mp3 lecture to be confidence-building for mom.

OR

- Have him study for the AP Language & Composition exam, using the Cliff's study guide + nonfiction works of literature. The guide covers a lot of rhetorical techniques in a succinct fashion.

GardenMom

When I research possible sources to use I get huge overwhelming sized textbooks.

I'm with you there!

I have not used it yet myself, but I am thinking about using A Rulebook for Arguments, by Anthony Weston, when we get to AP Language in another year. It's a nifty little book, and I can see how a year-long writing plan could be developed with this one small book as a spine.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do!

~Brigid

I listened to a free webinar on teaching writing classically hosted by Andrew Pudewa and Andrew Kern in July. During the discussion, Andrew Kern recommended the book The Office of Assertion by Scott Crider which focuses strictly on the academic essay. After reading this book I found it to be a good introduction to Corbett's Rhetoric for the Modern Student and plan to have my high school son read it before we tackle Corbett together. Crider's book lacks the step-by-step instruction of writing, but I think it does a good job of filling in the big picture before you go hunting in the forest. I definitely think it's a good resource to prepare the student for college level writing.

Guest Barb B

Thanks for your suggestions! I have several writing sources. The best I think have been online: the purdue OWL writing lab and the writing help at University of chicago's web site (I don't have the link right now). I ordered this book (ok I admit - the table of contents looked good and it was under 200 pages!):Appeals in Modern Rhetoric: An Ordinary Language Approach" by Jimmie Killingsworth. I will let you know if it seems like a good book. I also looked at ds # 1 choice college Auburn University at the freshmen comp course. I googed the course # and the word syllabus. I found a good one, with examples of an A paper, B paper . . . I though that could be informative too.

Barb

I am finding many college freshman comp. courses are Rhetoric/argument writing. Ds (rising 12th grade) has done persuasive writing, but not the rhetorical writing these courses have. I would like to introduce him to this (without overwhelming).

Have you looked at Wordsmith Craftsman, specifically part 3 (beginning on page 52)? It is all about writing essays: descriptive, narrative, expository, critical, and persuasive.

If you go to http://www.commonsensepress.com you can look at samples of the book.

Hope this helps! :-)

Guest Barb B

Found one more - in my house, forgotten! "Writing A college Handbook" Author's last name is Heffernan, published by Norton. But mine in from 80's. Not much changed since then so I am using it. It has a nice (yet little) section an rhetoric/argument type writing that seems to be popular in college comp. classes. The rhetoric book I got from Amazon I will probably return. Live and learn - look more closely around the house before you buy something!

Barb