Menu

LL AND HO Ancients?

My DS is going in 9th and told me last night he wanted to do HO ancients instead of picking books and reading them like TWTM. He likes the maps and the structure of HO. I also asked him about LL and he picked 2 sets that he wants to do. One with Moby Dick in the pack and the other with Pride and Prejudice. His best friend is reading MD this year (he is 16) and I think DS wants to read it with him

With all that said, Should I do both or just HO and get study guides for the books? He is not an avid reader although he does know with HS comes ALOT of reading. He has been forewarned. :001_smile:

I'm no expert. We used HO Ancients and Middle Ages level 2. We used LL7 and LL8. HO level 2 was quite a lot of work. I can only imagine how much more it will be at the high school level. I have heard that LL packs are not all that thorough.

So, I see 2 options:

(1) Use HO 3 Ancients adding study guides and expanding (meaning discussing and writing about) the literature books. Use TWTM or TWEM or Teaching the Classics in order to discuss. Throw in Moby Dick if ds really wants to.

(2) Use HO 3 Ancients and cover the classic books only as much as they direct. Use the 2 packs of LL along with it.

I think either would be fine.