Menu

HELP - learning 2 read w/ webster

Sahmqui

I am trying my hardest to teach my dd5 to spell/read using the webster speller and reinforcing the lesson with blend phonics, phonic game, spelling quiz, Burnz Primer, etc.

Now the problem, she is frustrated and after several tries at sound the word out perfectly she just forgets all the sounds in order looks in the air and just blurts out "MAN" for "led". Then I will say "let's look at it together", she groans and then ask if I can sound it out with her. I say "L-E-D" the same way she sounded the word out before and then after I sound the word out, she blurts out "LED".

Should I start all over? Should I continue on with the webster speller? Or should I drop the Webster Speller altogether?

Has she mastered the Syllabary yet? It sounds to me like she hasn't.

Go over the Syllabary a few more days/weeks with her till you are 100% sure she has mastered it. She should be able to sound out any syllable, in any order.

Then, move to the C-V-C words, but always write them out on a white board (or paper) with a tiny bit of space (or a hyphen) between the syllables. So 'LED' should be written as 'L ED'. That way, she can sound out 'L' and then 'ED' (which were both previously mastered in the syllabary).

HTH

So I should start over. Re-do the table 1 the Syllabary...I just do not know how I would re-enforce the Syllabary lessons with her. She likes end the lesson with reading or a game.

Is there a Syllabary enforcement exercise we can do?

She is bored with the Syllabary and said I know it already, therefore, if I return to it I need a re-enforcement exercise.

You could try to make it game like--concentration, bingo (she reads what she draws), hide easter eggs with the syllabry parts in them and she reads as she finds and matches or something like that, I've got links to game boards in my blog of free phonics stuff and you could have her read the syllabry item to move her piece.

But she's five. She may well not be ready for blending and the like based on what you described. My son wasn't ready at five. Many kids aren't. I believe you can do harm pushing when a child isn't ready both in their concept of themselves and readers and their enjoyment of reading. I'd do about anything to not make learning to read a chore and unpleasant. Maybe try I See Sam with the cursor card to start the blending process in a gentle and fun way. If she's not ready for I See Sam she's not ready. It's a solid phonics program without sight words--Elizabeth B. has it listed on her blog I believe or she's listed it here. I've got a link in my blog. http://learningsharingcaring.blogspot.com/2010/07/decodable-phonogram-reading-practice.html

The first two levels are free (just use the instructions on the actual site for the cursor card rather than those on the free links).

Edited by sbgrace

You could...hide easter eggs with the syllabry parts in them and she reads as she finds and matches or something like that, I've got links ....

...Maybe try I See Sam with the cursor card to start the blending process in a gentle and fun way. If she's not ready for I See Sam she's not ready. It's a solid phonics program without sight words--Elizabeth B. has it listed on her blog I believe or she's listed it here. I've got a link in my blog. http://learningsharingcaring.blogspot.com/2010/07/decodable-phonogram-reading-practice.html

The first two levels are free (just use the instructions on the actual site for the cursor card rather than those on the free links).

The egg hunt sounds like something she would enjoy. I have access to I See Sam but I don't know how this will fit with the Webster speller because we are not at one syllable long sound words.