Menu

Would you use GWG for 9th grade and higher?

I've never used GWG before but I want to use it for my 14 yo 9th grader and 12 yo 7th grader this year. They haven't had alot of grammar, but did a few years of EG and last year they both did R&S Grade 6 ( as WTM said to start older kids there if they never used R&S grammar before). Now I want to use GWG because it gets good reviews, teaches diagramming and is an independent course of study.

I'm wondering about using it for my 9th grader. The company said they have had high school students use it before. I wonder if I should start with Grade 7 or 8? I looked at Table of Contents and I think he could start with Grade 7 and then follow up with Grade 8 in 10th grade. Is that enough for high school? He'll also have vocab, writing, and literature for English. I think it's ok, but I'd some other opinions.

Thanks

My dd, a rising 8th grader, has been using GWG for a couple of years now, and she loves it. I was using Hake Grammar with my ds, who is going into 9th, but we got bogged down about 3/4 of the way into Hake 7. I let him drop it for his 8th grade year, but he has asked to do GWG alongside his sister next year. So, I'll start him in the same level she'll be in, level 7, for 9th grade, and that will put him in level 8 for 10th grade.

I think it's fine for high school. I don't know if it's the most rigorous, but our schedule for next year is so jam-packed, we need grammar that is efficient and won't take a long time each lesson, or we'll end up dropping it again.

I am thinking of following GWG up with either Jensen's or Stewart English in 11th/12th.

But rigorous grammar is not my top concern. My concern is whether my kids learn the material and necessary skills. I also want it to be challenging, but not overwhelming for my kids. My kids will have other subjects that are hard for them; grammar does not need to be one of them.

My impression is that each of those three you named would be more rigorous, but I really don't know. You could compare the TOCs and that might give you more on that.

My understanding is that GWG is loosely based on R&S, covering the same topics each year, but in a secular workbook format in which the book is written to the student. If that is true, I don't think it would be less rigorous than R&S.