Menu

How to improve these reading "problems" (and do I need to?)

monalisa

My dd7, who can read probably at a 3rd grade level or so (based on the books she can read), maybe higher, does these things frequently when she reads aloud (and she is always reading pretty fast):

skips words

adds words

substitutes different words (that usually start with the same letter)

Most of the words she skips or adds are pretty short words like "there" or "in" for example.

She can read long, multi-syllable words (like today she read "exoskeleton" with no problem), and has a pretty good phonics base (we went through OPGTR last year). We also did AAS 1 and half of 2.

Besides just having her read aloud frequently (which I do every day for about 10 or 15 minutes, though less frequently during the summer), should I do anything else? I tell her to slow down and remind her to NOT do those things I listed above.

She is my only child, so I have nothing to compare to. Just wondering if this is just normal reading development. She started reading spontaneously before she was 5.

My daughter still does those things sometimes at age 9, usually when she is reading aloud on the quicker side, too. I haven't really been concerned about it because overall she reads fluently, has a good vocabulary, enjoys reading, can tell you what a book's about when she reads it and so on. I'm sure it'll straighten itself out eventually.

My DD is only 5, but she does those things too. Granted, she is still just learning. We're on lesson 46 of OPGTR. I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but I have her point to each word as she is reading. It forces her to slow down and actually look at the letters in THAT word. (She was sometimes combining the letters of the word she was supposed to be reading with the letters of a word on the line above or below and trying to make a word out of all of those letters.)