Menu

Where would you start FLL with a 2nd grader

Quiver0f10

Who hasn't had any grammar? If I start at the beginning she won't be finished both 1/2 in order to start FLL 3 in third grade. I know grade levels do't really matter but still I'd like it to match up LOL. She will be doing WWE 2 next year too if that matters.

Edited to add: I just saw they have a revised FLL 1 and a FLL 2. Will there be both student workbook and teacher books for these or only one book for each grade?

Edited by Quiver0f10

I haven't used WWE, but I would start her at the beginning. I think you could easily do FLL1/2 in a year. The whole book is only 200 lessons, so you'd only have to skip or double up 20 lessons if you wanted to finish in a 180-day school year. I found a lot of the lessons to be repetitive, so I think that would be pretty easy to do. And it's good for them to know all the definitions going into FLL3.

There is so much repetition in FLL that it is easy to do it in one year. I just follow my sons lead about what we need to spend more time on and what he already has so we can move forward. I am really impressed with FLL and even though I have WWE I rarely use it preferring instead to do copywork and narration from FLL. Of course I have the older version and I think the newer ones have less overlap?

I would pick and choose lessons so that I was still doing only 3 lessons per week. Maybe you could just do first grade lessons that involve new grammar content. FLL includes a lot of narration, poetry memory, etc. I would pool the poems and have dc memorize roughly half. Good luck!

I would start Level 1, but just do several lessons combined into one lesson. You could still get them all done in 10 minutes, especially if you skip the copywork. This is what we're doing. This way you'll quickly get up to speed but without missing anything.

As for the new FLL vs the old one, I wrote a detailed description on the exact differences a few weeks ago. If you have the older version, no need to buy the new one, they are so very similar except different picture narrations and a few lessons have less copywork. Lessons themselves align perfectly, so you're not missing anything. But the new version is sooo much easier to read, so take that into consideration. As far as I know, there's no student workbook for FLL 1 & 2.

Edited by Satori

I would start Level 1, but just do several lessons combined into one lesson. You could still get them all done in 10 minutes, especially if you skip the copywork. This is what we're doing. This way you'll quickly get up to speed but without missing anything.

As for the new FLL vs the old one, I wrote a detailed description on the exact differences a few weeks ago. If you have the older version, no need to buy the new one, they are so very similar except different picture narrations and a few lessons have less copywork. Lessons themselves align perfectly, so you're not missing anything. But the new version is sooo much easier to read, so take that into consideration. As far as I know, there's no student workbook for FLL 1 & 2.

Thank you!