Menu

Gas oven and baking question...

We just moved into our home and for the first time I have a gas oven - a mid-level GE, brand new. I've had a gas stove before, but not an oven (that I can recall...there are have been a lot of ovens in this AF wife's life). The heat is coming from the bottom, and there's a top broiler (not a drawer, thankfully).

I baked bread yesterday for the first time. This particular loaf (in a pan, not freeform/hearth style on a stone) normally takes 35 minutes. It took almost an hour to bake. I know the oven is relatively accurate as I have made other things in it, and they baked at the same rate as my previous electric. I had placed the rack in the middle. Should I have placed it lower in the oven?

One great thing, though: the oven got BLAZING hot for pizza, and the stone was blistering hot and created the most amazing crust with beautiful mottling and crispness... Woo hoo!

How I miss my gas oven!!! We moved from W.Va to AL and it is OUTRAGEOUS to have gas here-boo! You have to pay a monthly fee just to *have* the gas hook-up! We were paying almost $50/month JUST for the stove! Um, needless to say, we have an electric stove now and no gas hook-up either.

We have never found that things take longer, but only shorter.

That can cause it to take longer. It takes the stone longer to heat up and can keep the heat from reaching the bottom of the pan so it will take longer. I usually only put a cookie sheet under things I'm baking. It allows for the right temperature but keeps things from burning on the bottom