Menu

TOG Y1 - Track 1 or 2??

Last year I started with Track 2 (Units 4,5,6) because I was using a more secular approach. I chose to cover prehistory with anthropology, world creation stories, but still read Genesis and then Exodus for literacy. Then we did the Fertile Crescent and Egypt. I know TOG gives you both options but still recommends Track 1 for continuity. Because my primary focus was not on faith development, the chronological path was better suited for us.

I think that Lisa has a very good point about secular vs. faith-based, and I really think that should be a key consideration when deciding between the two tracks. I researched TOG for many months before getting it, and I thought for my LG dd, I would use track 2. I couldn't understand why they had track one at all and thought it was more of a marketing decision. But once I bought TOG and read the reasoning behind track one, I was sold. I loved the idea of studying the Creation story and Noah's Ark through the eyes of the Israelites wandering in the wilderness. After all, those stories were revealed to Moses for the benefit of the Israelites, so it makes so much sense to ask ourselves what the Israelites got out of those revelations.

And from a purely practical side, I am perfectly happy to tweak when I have to, but I don't want to if I don't have to. Even after understanding the reasoning behind track 1, I still had to consider whether the flashback approach would be too confusing for my LG dd. I decided that she had a good enough handle on the concept of a timeline that it didn't warrant having to figure out how to do track 2.

I think that Lisa has a very good point about secular vs. faith-based, and I really think that should be a key consideration when deciding between the two tracks. I researched TOG for many months before getting it, and I thought for my LG dd, I would use track 2. I couldn't understand why they had track one at all and thought it was more of a marketing decision. But once I bought TOG and read the reasoning behind track one, I was sold. I loved the idea of studying the Creation story and Noah's Ark through the eyes of the Israelites wandering in the wilderness. After all, those stories were revealed to Moses for the benefit of the Israelites, so it makes so much sense to ask ourselves what the Israelites got out of those revelations.

And from a purely practical side, I am perfectly happy to tweak when I have to, but I don't want to if I don't have to. Even after understanding the reasoning behind track 1, I still had to consider whether the flashback approach would be too confusing for my LG dd. I decided that she had a good enough handle on the concept of a timeline that it didn't warrant having to figure out how to do track 2.

:iagree: