Menu

AAS ~ How many lessons do you do in a week?

Xuzi

AAS is a mastery program so we stay on a lesson until he has mastered it. That said, we do one AAS lesson per week and take 4 days to do it. The first day we review the cards, alphabetize the tiles and review a few old words with tiles. We then move on to the new lesson and I have him do all of the new words with the tiles. Day 2 if he was able to spell the words with tiles the first day, we will do approximately 10 words with tiles from the list and extra words and then he will write 5 of them on paper and 5 phrases. Day 3&4 we do the same as day 2. By the end of the week he has spelled either with tiles or on paper all of the words in the list and extras and has written the phrases one or two times each. By the end of the week, he has usually mastered the lesson. The only one we've been stuck on so far was segmenting beginning blends. We spent a couple of extra days here and I was glad we did because we have now moved on with spelling words with blends with no problem.

The first day is usually 15 to 20 minutes and the rest of the week only takes about 10 minutes each day.

Edited by Cindyz

DS (1st) is using AAS. We had been doing 1 lesson a week when we started at the end of K. I have 1 lesson a week planned for most of the upcoming year, but some of the weeks that introduce a new concept, I'm planning to work on for two weeks. We do AAS 2-3 times a week and he LOVES it! :001_smile:

We have been doing 3 days (15 min) each week to get through a step per week. We started off much faster and at some point we may slow down to 4 days or longer per step.

We follow a pattern similar to Zenz: Day 1 review, Day 2 new concept taught and practice new words with tiles or on paper, Day 3 I choose the 2-3 most difficult phrases and 2-3 sentences. She never gets these wrong so I move on. We may need a 4th day at some point if I feel she needs to do all the phrases and sentences or if she needs more practice.