Menu

Fallacy Detectives Question

goldberry

Hi, I am considering this for my 6th grader next year, andI found some posts that referred to bad reviews about it, but never found the actual reviews. The book looks pretty good to me.

What are some of the issues with it if you are aware of them?

Also, how does this book fit with Thinking Toolbox? Use one or the other first?

Thank you!

It is written from a Christian and Republican point of view, so some of the examples involve fallacies used by people promoting a non-Christian or non-Republican point of view.

We are Christian, but not Republican. We were not bothered by any of the examples. Non-Christians are sometimes not comfortable with nearly all the fallacies coming from a non-Christian point of view, and prefer a book with no mention of religion.

The topic of abortion came up in a couple of examples as well as some other "adult" topics. I used this book with my 13yo ds last year and we had some great discussions that were sparked by some of the examples in this book. I have read some criticism of this book in regards to the adult topics it uses. They did not bother us and they are certainly not the main focus of the book. My son says it was his favorite subject last year.