Menu

Leaving high school and back to elementary lol

74Heaven

I just realized (yes, I must be slow) that all of my homeschooling children will be in grades K-8 this year!!! (2nd, 5th, 8th) For the past 4 years, I have been busy visiting the high school board about 10x more than the K-8 board. But next year no high schoolers at home!

So for my first back-to-basics post, can you give me advice and encouragement on doing more together next year? How does "togetherness" over many grade levels work at your house?

Unfortunately, the 8th grader is the most easily distracted of all three kids so she likely won't be off "independently" doing her work without lots of supervision".

Do many of you do a lot of group memory work together? Almost like a "big review session" daily?

Here's my plan:

8a Bible, devotions, Latin chants, etc., WWE Dictations

9a Shurley jingles, Math flash cards, speed drills

9:30-1015a Math lessons - individual lessons and assignments

1015-11a Science Reading or lesson

11-1120a Break

1120-12p Shurley (independent) (A Beka for 2nd g)

12n-12:30p IEW or/ or finish (squeeze in spelling?)

1230-130p Lunch

130-2p Read ALoud & SOTW, History Reading and Assignments

2-230p Science & History Assignments

230-3p Latin

3p Break & then finish whatever needs to be done!

Somewhere we need 15min daily chess practice and 30min piano for the 5th and 8th graders...

This seems very scattered? I would like for the three children to work together with me as much as possible. I would like "math" to be all done at the same time.... i.e. at 10am, math is put away for that day for all three kids (with occasional exceptions if the 8th grader just has too much for that time period:().

Is this possible? I think the 5th/8th could work together because my 5th grader is very advanced. But. maybe trying to work the 2nd and 8th together might be too much work?

Thanks for all the help! (This is going to be weird not doing high school next year!!!)

Lisaj

Edited by 74Heaven

Looks great to me.

One of the main things I'd like to do is not have loose ends all the time. It seems like in past years, I "neglected" the youngers and I'd check in midweek and find out no one did their spelling and the paragraphs we started Monday never got past the first 20minutes of work when I got back to them on Thurs.

I was busy correcting papers, working on higher difficulty lessons and scheduling the 2 teenagers.

No one was hurt too much by this but the 8th grader does have some pretty poor study habits to remedy.

Thanks for commenting. Looking for more input! I'd especially like comments on the morning "review session" idea. Do any of you do this regularly?

I got the idea from looking at Classical Conversations at http://www.classicalconversations.com

Lisaj