Menu

Help! Virtual Homeschool Group Questions

2cents

Well, I might be having a brain-drain but I can't seem to understand how this all works. Specifically the Apologia Biology course. It appears that it is a course that can be joined at most any point (with the exception of modules 5-6) and eventually the course winds around and you stay in until you get all the modules finished. My question concerns starting somewhere other than the beginning. Isn't that a bad idea??? Granted, I'm pretty obsessive about starting and finishing things in a certain order and time-frame so this stuff about starting somewhere in the middle is giving me an awful headache. Am I missing something or is that what they are really doing? I tried to email the site but have had no answers yet. I don't want to 'donate' unless I am sure I can use the course and it does sound like a good program. I also wanted to see if anyone knew what module they are on right now and what their pace chart looked like. I need help and an aspirin! :confused:

I don't know what module they're currently on ... but this class has been going for about 3 years now so it's a very mature course. The instructors have worked with it enough to know that students can just start in any module, except the ones you noted, and keep going until they've looped back around and completed the whole text. Last year I think they had about 150 students enrolled for that course -- not all in one class session, of course. But their system works very well and the students are wildly enthusiastic about game days.

They have a variety of other Apologia science courses in development this summer, too. Several have the option of doing the course "live" in the online classroom several times a week or of doing the course asynchronously by watching recorded lectures and accessing the review and quiz tools at the student's own pace. This is a fabulous resource!

Open enrollment starts August 1st so you should get on their email list now if you think you want to enroll in any of their classes.