Menu

Movies as Literature

I am planning on using this with a friend of mine this year for our older dc. We will be doing a lot of discussion and do not plan on the kids answering the questions in the student book. We will be assigning compositions.

Do we need the student book? Is everything that is in the student book included in the teacher manual? I'm just trying to streamline and hate ending up with a book that I don't use at all.

Thanks so much!

Thanks Jennifer! That will save me $15 :D

Did you enjoy the course? Did you read the books with the movies? I would really like the kids to read most of the books. We are doing a separate Jane Austen study for an elective, so they will definitely read "Emma." Did you have trouble finding any of the movies?

Thanks again!

I used the course as the last year of English Lit for my ds with learning challenges. He took the course along with cinematography, so we focused more on the visuals of the movie than the looking for examples of literary elements. The movies for the most part were great -- I don't think we saw all of them, though.

My only disappointment with the course were the discussion questions as I thought they were very light. Mostly comprehension questions as I recall but it's been a couple of years so I can't be more specific. I think you'd get so much more out of the course by reading the books because you can discuss the choices the screenwriters and directors make in telling the story -- which elements they focus on, which they ignore altogether.