Menu

IEW advanced communication series

Guest Barb B

Guest Barb B

Anyone use it? Would you reccommend it, why or why not? Can my ds (rising 12th grader) do this even though we have never done any IEW before? I was planning on Jensen's Format Writing for one last year of writing before ds goes off to college but am not sure I like it. I see the package of advance communication is 69$ so I am wanting otheres experience with it!

Thanks

Barb

My son used it in 12th grade as a wrap-up. DS thought the note taking technique of using something that looks like a messy drawing of a tree was "cheesy", but it has turned out to be really helpful--especially for science courses and even more so when the instructor's first language is not English. The section on research papers has some good information and the booklet has five sample assignments for different subjects taken from actual college assignments. The section about persuasive speaking and writing is a good overview of basic rhetorical principles. We'd not used any IEW products before and it didn't seem to affect our being able to use product. Is is worth the money? YMMV. We bought it as part of a study skills bundle and didn't pay full price for any single component.

I thought it was a sensible, task oriented approach that was a nice counterbalance to some of our more theoretical work. The suggested assignments to practice what can be expected in college are representative of the types of papers ds has written during the past year at CC.

HTH,

Martha