Menu

Fairly Rugged Futon Cover?

I am looking for a futon cover that will hold up to three kids and various guests in a main living area. Something resembling canvas duck? Bonus points if it's machine washable. I saw some at Target, but not in any colors that would work for us. We need chocolate brown, tan, or maybe a light aqua or some sort of red.

Anybody have any ideas where I could find this for not a million dollars?

Sometimes you can get great deals at futon stores. People special order their covers, and then don't want them for whatever reason when they come in. Just make sure you know the size and depth of your futon mattress, and you may see what you like in the store. The people there should be able to help you out with what materials should be avoided, and what would work best.

Using a coupon (they always have some around) I found one at Bed, Bath & Beyond. It is machine washable, just a pain in the rear to get on and off the mattress. I keep a blanket thrown over it and wash that often (I have cats, kids and a husband) and wash the actual cover maybe 4 times a year. Like I said, it's a huge pain to get the cover on and off. It's in our living room and we do use it for guests (that's usually when I wash the cover!) even though we use regular full-size linens for guests. It has held up well. Most spills I can spot clean.