Menu

Could I use Power Basics science for 5th grader?

kailuamom

Hey there. I've not used the Power Basics, but I've seen it and have had the opportunity to look at it extensivley... Have you actually seen it or looked at samples? I don't think the reading level is above a 5th grader, the content probably isn't either. I think it's marketed for high schoolers with low reading levels-like 5th or 6th grade. It's a very dry book. No color or pictures that I can remember, but very to the point.

Hey there. I've not used the Power Basics, but I've seen it and have had the opportunity to look at it extensivley... Have you actually seen it or looked at samples? I don't think the reading level is above a 5th grader, the content probably isn't either. I think it's marketed for high schoolers with low reading levels-like 5th or 6th grade. It's a very dry book. No color or pictures that I can remember, but very to the point.

No, I haven't been able to get my hands on one, so I am going off of reviews and online samples. It sounds like I am off on what it is like, though. I thought it was just a "get to the point" science course -- kind of attractive for my dd because she gets distracted very easily by lots of pictures and such. We used Calvert last year and the "all in one" textbook approach isn't working for her. I may just go with library books and such!

Thanks for your help!

Well, it is a "get to the point" course, but it's like a text book: Here's your vocabulary, read the selection, answer the questions, rinse and repeat. There is a Teachers Guide, which I think is basically just the answers to the questions, a seperate workbook/answer key which is more fill in the blanks stuff, and a test booklet.

So if she didn't like the concept of a textbook, she probably won't like this, although, there isn't all the busy stuff going on with the pictures and sidebars like in a regular text.

Have you thought about using something like the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia w/ the library books and maybe a Janice Van Cleeve book for labs and such?

Have you thought about using something like the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia w/ the library books and maybe a Janice Van Cleeve book for labs and such?

I have, and I think I may go that route (if not Kingfisher, then the Usborne). I was just trying to find something that would a bit less time consuming for me as far as scheduling, etc. With four of them to schedule/manage now I am a tad worried. lol

Thanks, again, for your valuable input!