Menu

Please help me figure English credits

DS will do BJ Fundamentals of Literature next year plus EIW The Elegant Essay and EIW Starting Points Worldview-Based Writing Lessons. Would this count for one English credit for the literature and one English credit for the essay writing? I realize that the two EIW writing courses probably won't take the whole year, but with the added writing he'll do for Lit and history it would probably come close. Is trying to give two English credits pushing it? Or should I give one for Literature and one half for writing? :confused:

My HS plan is to do one BJ Lit book each year plus various writing courses that would end up being two classes each day thoughout the year. If I cut back on the specific writing classes to take up only two to three days a week, would that be sufficient for a half credit? Thanks.

Usually high school English is titled English 1, English 2, English 3, English 4. Each for 1 credit. Each year most people cover literature, writing, grammar, spelling (if needed), and anything else that could be part of "language arts".

One year I gave an extra 1/2 credit for "creative writing" because my dd had written so many original stories on her own. She spent way over 90 hours I'm sure!

I think I would only give it one credit.

I separated mine out on my son's diploma. I had a half credit of writing and a half credit of literature. The college he applied to had an online transcription form. It only gave room for the title of the class, not a description of what we did in the class. By breaking it in two, I could give class titles such as Ancient Literature and College Prep writing(as opposed to saying English 1)

However, if I had been allowed to give a course description I could have just given him 1 crdeit and then explained how we did both writing and literature analysis. In other words, how you break it up might depend on how your college has you apply. But, I would only give 1 credit, not two.

Thanks, that helps! I think my confusion came from seeing literature as a separate subject from the writing, grammar, etc. I'll continue with my BJ lit textbooks and add EIW writing lessons as needed, but probably not every single day as I had planned earlier.

Now to think about electives...