Menu

ADHD meds, acidic foods & antacids

I've been meaning to post this here, but I kept losing the link. I finally found it again when looking for something on another thread.

About 30−40 % of amphetamines are excreted unchanged. The rest of the parent drug is converted to metabolites. The proportions of amphetamines that are metabolized are strongly affected by urinary pH 23. Ingestion of acidic substances causes an accelerated excretion of d-amphetamine while alkaline agents (e,g., antacids) markedly increase both retention and absorption of amphetamines, sometimes resulting in dangerously high amphetamine levels. It has been suggested that the accumulation of metabolites may contribute to generation of psychotic symptoms and to general amphetamine neurotoxicity.

Short form: kid drinking soda with Ritalin can make it not work. Kid with upset stomach eating Tums can end up with too much in his/her system.

I hope that helps someone.

asta

I have had quite a time with a son who has, or I thought had, ADD. For years he had been diagnosed and was treated. I recently found out that many doctors do not take into account the child's mental development when diagnosing them with ADD. They primarily look at behavioral trends as well as social.

I can not tell you how enlightening it was when I learned the stages of mental devlopment as well as the learning style my son has. Once I implemented changes to adjust to these two things I saw a significant change in him and even had hom terminate the use of medicine.

It was be so freeing when you find out many things that kids had in previous generations actually were things that worked with the child's physiological/intellectual development instead of against it.

Just thought I'd share...

Dolly