Menu

Muzzy Spanish

jenL

I stumbled upon the Muzzy Spanish DVD set at my local used homeschool book store. I'm looking for a spanish program for ds (2nd grade). I had never heard of it.

Is there anyone here who has used it? If so, what can you tell me about it? Good, bad, and ugly...

If you have a program you'd recommend, I'd love to hear about that as well.

Edited by jenL

My SIL has used it with my nephew, and she said it's most definitely not for beginners. My nephew, who is 4, has enjoyed it, but she used a program with him called Speekee, and he goes to a school called Language Stars in the Chicago area. She also speaks with him somewhat at home (more before he started preschool in addition to Language Stars and gets it at school also).

I've watched it but since I don't speak Spanish I can't say one way or another. Just passing along what she said. I think to supplement Spanish that's already in place, or for additional exposure, it would be good.

It's fine for exposure, but I wasn't impressed with the copy I saw (I borrowed it, no idea which one it was).

I recommend either Salsa (you can move a little quicker at the second grade level), or Discovery Streaming (I've never used it, but I plan to after we finish Salsa).

As to Salsa you can get it free here AFAIK: http://www.gpb.org/digitallibrary -- search for "salsa" . You can get teaching activities here http://www.k12.wy.us/search/search.a...sa&Send=Search (or Google "WyFLES Salsa" if that link fails).