Menu

digraph vs phonogram.......

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Hmmmm. A digraph is 2 letters that make a single sound but multi-letter phonograms can be more than 2 letters that make a single sound (eigh - long a; dge - j; etc). I'm not sure if there is more to it but that's what I notice as being different before my second cup of coffee;)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
So a digraph is also a phonogram?

I *think* it would be more accurate to say that a digraph can be represented by a phonogram.

what is the difference between a digraph and a multi-letter phonogram?

Does this help ;)?

phonogram (or word family)

A phonogram is a letter-sound combination that includes more than one grapheme or phoneme. Examples of common phonograms are ole (in hole, mole, role) and ake (as in make, bake, lake).

http://www.education.vic.gov.au/studentlearning/teachingresources/english/englishcontinuum/englishglossaryl-z.htm

digraphs

A digraph is composed of two or more letters that represent or match one sound. Example: sh, ch, th, ph, wh, ck.

http://www.education.vic.gov.au/studentlearning/teachingresources/english/englishcontinuum/englishglossarya-k.htm#g

I *think* it would be more accurate to say that a digraph can be represented by a phonogram.

I believe you may be referring to a phoneme not phonogram here.

phonemic knowledge

A phoneme is a single sound; the smallest unit of speech that distinguishes an utterance. Example: ‘pot’ and ‘hot’ are distinguished by the initial phoneme. Phonemic knowledge is what we know about individual speech sounds. Phonemic recoding refers to changing each letter into a sound.

http://www.education.vic.gov.au/studentlearning/teachingresources/english/englishcontinuum/englishglossaryl-z.htm

phonogram (or word family)

A phonogram is a letter-sound combination that includes more than one grapheme or phoneme. Examples of common phonograms are ole (in hole, mole, role) and ake (as in make, bake, lake).

Interesting. In American phonics programs, a phonogram is a single sound, including digraphs. Ole, all, ake, are called units rather than phonograms.

Interesting. In American phonics programs, a phonogram is a single sound, including digraphs. Ole, all, ake, are called units rather than phonograms.

I'm getting a feeling each program gives a different definition much less each country ;). The definition given for phonograms that I linked above, I know as word families personally :p and for me letter sounds were phonemes, where as letter combinations phonograms. Any LA experts out there, that would care to way in?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I thought I read in the WRTR that even single letters are considered phonograms because they are symbols that represent a sound. I'm not quoting the book, I'm just trying to remember what I read.

They are in AAS too. All of my phonogram cards make a single sound and are anywhere from 1 to several letters.

I thought I read in the WRTR that even single letters are considered phonograms because they are symbols that represent a sound. I'm not quoting the book, I'm just trying to remember what I read.

Then the phoneme can be a phonogram but the phonogram is not always a phoneme :p? Hey, I am trying to figure this out right along with you ;). I am far from being an expert.

• 10 years later...

Diagraphs are two consonants coming together to a sound examples are sh, ch, th, pH,wh e.t.c

Shop, fish, dish,chin, chop

Phonograms are two vowels coming together to a sound.examples are oa,ie, ee, oo,ue, ai, ea, e.t.c

boat, coat, weed, feed, sea, tea,Sue cue, due, fuel,  rain, tail, pail, book, cool,cook.

To me the best that I can gather is:

A phonogram is a group of letter (could be just a single letter) that denotes a single sound. Although some circles specifically refer to multi-letter groups as phonogram and single letters as just letters. 

A diagraph is a phonogram consisting of 2 letters. A trigraph is a phonogram consisting of 3 letters.