Menu

Shurley grammer

you absolutely want the practice books. they are great. i just got the cd-rom for review although we are switching to MCT. I didn't use Shurley writing bc/ I prefer WWE, so we skipped that. I think it took about 20 minutes and I did it with my 2 older kids together. Once they got the hang of it, they led the parsing for us. I also created flashcards for the matching facts and jingles. They helped. I added in Sentence Family and we learned more from it than 4 years of SG. I think it is more of a learning style issue. We are dropping SG and repeating Sentence Family more in depth plus MCT. But, I digress...

How long does each lesson take? Also, I noticed they had practice books and cd's..does that cut down much on the teaching time?

Shurley 3 should take about 20 minutes depending on how many jingles you go through, whether you are introducing a new concept and how many sentences you parse. I've Shurley since the olden days and how I wise they'd had the practice books! I ended up making my own. Definitely a time-saver.

How teacher intensive is this program?

There is a learning curve to teaching Shurley. Because of the script, you have to kind of weed through the text. I teach without the script and probably go faster than going word by word through the text. Also, we don't do every jingle, every day. We review the jingles that my dc needs. And, fwiw, we rhythmically chant the jingles rather than sing, so I don't have extra time messing with a CD.

Does it include writing and is it enough writing?

Yes, includes writing but I'm not crazy about it. We've never used it because I had other resources that were more thorough and taught writing better. Also, I've found we needed to supplement the grammar mechanics practice. My dc used Daily Grams independently as seat work to get daily mechanics work.

Really, with all of the tweaking, you may wonder why I use Shurley. I love, love, love the parsing. I love how it teaches the function of each part of grammar within a complete sentence. I *still* use it with my olders as we move through R&S. We no longer have to make marks, but can orally parse quickly through a sentence.

Lisa