Menu

Phonics Review

Just Robyn

My rising first grader has done SSRW K and 1 and can read fairly well for his grade (think Frog and Toad). I am considering doing more phonics with him in first grade as a review. I'm not completely decided on that; he is doing AAS, so phonics review may be unnecessary, but I'm considering it. Two questions -

1.) If you did this using ETC, which book would you start with?

2.) Is there something else you would recommend using for this?

My rising first grader has done SSRW K and 1 and can read fairly well for his grade (think Frog and Toad). I am considering doing more phonics with him in first grade as a review. I'm not completely decided on that; he is doing AAS, so phonics review may be unnecessary, but I'm considering it. Two questions -

1.) If you did this using ETC, which book would you start with?

2.) Is there something else you would recommend using for this?

I started with book 1 since they are basically cheap and I figured that he could whiz right through a couple of them over the summer.

We are also doing AAS and I figure between that ETC and all the other reading we do it will work itself out just fine.

I started with book 1 since they are basically cheap and I figured that he could whiz right through a couple of them over the summer.

We are also doing AAS and I figure between that ETC and all the other reading we do it will work itself out just fine.

Thank you. :001_smile:

I don't use AAS, but from what I see it will likely fill in the gaps eventually (if there are any). If you want to add ETC, I would go with the books with concepts that AAS won't get to for a while (I'm thinking 3 or 4 to start??). I don't have AAS here (don't use it) or I would compare the S&S for you.

ETC 3 covers:

1-syllable words ending in a vowel

Silent-e

sh/th/wh/ch/tch

ng, -ck,ee, ea

ai, ay, oa, ow

ETC 4 covers:

compound words

-ful,-ing,-est,-ed,-ness

syllable division

open/closed syllables

more ai, ay, ea, ee, oa, ow