Menu

Rod and Staff Math question...

Martha in VA

My soon-to-be 6th grade dd gets very frustrated with Saxon because it assigns so many problems each day. (She struggles in many different areas for reasons I won't go into.) We've tried doing only odds or evens but it's still such a battle. I'm considering switching to R&S. Could someone please tell me how many problems are assigned on an average day.

Thank you very much.

We've just finished grade 6 and there are anywhere from 30-45 questions per lesson. BUT, I usually just assign odds for some of the longer lessons, and if not that I at least take out 5-8 problems. If he has a problem with the lesson, we simply do odds one day and evens the next.

They break up the lesson this way: 1st 15 or so problems have to do with the lesson itself. Then the rest are review, but lots of time they reference the chapter being reviewed. Its also incredibly easy for you as the parent to look at the Teacher's manual and decide to do some of that review orally or on the board...since some of its mental math type questions. I looked at a Saxon math text for the first time a few weeks ago and got dizzy just looking at it. I'm so used to the R&S layout.

Josie,

Thanks so much for breaking it down for me! That really helps.

We've just finished grade 6 and there are anywhere from 30-45 questions per lesson. BUT, I usually just assign odds for some of the longer lessons, and if not that I at least take out 5-8 problems. If he has a problem with the lesson, we simply do odds one day and evens the next.

They break up the lesson this way: 1st 15 or so problems have to do with the lesson itself. Then the rest are review, but lots of time they reference the chapter being reviewed. Its also incredibly easy for you as the parent to look at the Teacher's manual and decide to do some of that review orally or on the board...since some of its mental math type questions. I looked at a Saxon math text for the first time a few weeks ago and got dizzy just looking at it. I'm so used to the R&S layout.