Menu

Quebec Grade Level Expectations ?

This might be helpful?

(as an example - the Mathematics pdf - the actual lists (natural numbers, decimals, etc etc) start around pag 14 of the pdf...i didn't look at all of them, but I would assume they all do it)

I got that specific link from here and that one from here.

I don't know if that's what she's looking for or not...

Thanks for the links. They are very helpful. Do you know of any that say specifically what skills they are to learn in 2nd grade and kindergarten? She is trying to ensure that they are up to their peers as she may send them to school next year and her oldest has only home schooled and will be going into 3rd. She has 4 children and has had major surgery recently and may send them to school next year.

She isn't as concerned about the kindergarten child being on track as she wants to make sure the upcoming 3rd grader is ready should they choose to send to school next year.

Edited by OpenMinded

I am sure she is aware of this, but I just have to send her a little warning of caution about sending her kids to PS next year. Since she doesn't know what the grade-level requirements are, I am assuming she has been "under the radar", meaning not under contract with a school board.

Once they have been registered in school, they will become known within the system, and it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to return to homeschooling if she so chooses in the future. Homeschooling is technically legal, but the provincial authorities are making it more and more difficult every year. They basically want people to do "school at home", following their curriculum. If parents choose to use an alternate curriculum, the school board can require the children to be tested multiple times during the year, at their own discretion, and if the board is not satisfied with the results, the parent loses their homeschooling contract and the child must return to school. If a parent refuses to sign the school board's contract, the board usually calls child protective services, the outcome of which depends on the worker to whom one is assigned. There are currently a few families whose cases are going to court in order to set a precedent for how CPS are supposed to handle these cases.

I have a friend who put her kids into school after homeschooling. Now, 5 years later, some of her kids have learning differences that are not being addressed to her satisfaction in school, and she would love to pull them back out. However, she is positive that her contract would be revoked when her kids would (inevitably) not test at grade level, since they are already behind in school! So, she is stuck afterschooling and teaching her kids all summer to make up for the gaps left from school.

Oh yes, and if neither she nor her husband studied the majority of their elementary level education in English, in Canada, her kids will be forced to attend French school, no exceptions. Another issue to consider.

I just wanted to make sure your friend was aware of the situation and not make the decision to send them to PS lightly.

I am sure she is aware of this, but I just have to send her a little warning of caution about sending her kids to PS next year. Since she doesn't know what the grade-level requirements are, I am assuming she has been "under the radar", meaning not under contract with a school board.

Once they have been registered in school, they will become known within the system, and it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to return to homeschooling if she so chooses in the future. Homeschooling is technically legal, but the provincial authorities are making it more and more difficult every year. They basically want people to do "school at home", following their curriculum. If parents choose to use an alternate curriculum, the school board can require the children to be tested multiple times during the year, at their own discretion, and if the board is not satisfied with the results, the parent loses their homeschooling contract and the child must return to school. If a parent refuses to sign the school board's contract, the board usually calls child protective services, the outcome of which depends on the worker to whom one is assigned. There are currently a few families whose cases are going to court in order to set a precedent for how CPS are supposed to handle these cases.

I have a friend who put her kids into school after homeschooling. Now, 5 years later, some of her kids have learning differences that are not being addressed to her satisfaction in school, and she would love to pull them back out. However, she is positive that her contract would be revoked when her kids would (inevitably) not test at grade level, since they are already behind in school! So, she is stuck afterschooling and teaching her kids all summer to make up for the gaps left from school.

Oh yes, and if neither she nor her husband studied the majority of their elementary level education in English, in Canada, her kids will be forced to attend French school, no exceptions. Another issue to consider.

I just wanted to make sure your friend was aware of the situation and not make the decision to send them to PS lightly.

Thank you for your advise. Yes, her and her husband went to school in English. The ability to pull them back out is a concern of hers, but this year has been hard on her. They used to live in Montreal and if they still lived there she wouldn't put them in school, but now live in Quebec and it would be a small, country school I believe.

Yes, she has been under the radar. Her children have never attended public school.

She used ABeka for 1st and a mixture for this year. Her children are very bright. She definitely schools them and takes it seriously. She is just wanting to make sure that should she not have covered some of the expectations that she can get hit those spots before talking to the school.

She is also interested at where they should be in french going into 3rd grade at an English school.

She has been searching for something like grade level equivalents for each grade level for Quebec, but the closest found was some for Ontario. Are the grade level expectations pretty much the same for the different provinces or is it like here where the states are all varied and different in expectations? Can she use the one for Ontario and it be close to Quebec's standards?

Edited by OpenMinded

I would not presume that Ontario's standards would be the same or even similar to Quebec's. Quebec is it's own little world, you know?

If she speaks French, the Quebec homeschool support group, AQED, might be able to point her to a source for these guidelines. They can probably be found on the Ministry of Education's website, but likely also in French. I doubt that she will find anything official in English.

Her best bet might be to visit the website of her local English school board, just in case they have something there. Otherwise, try to find someone local who has kids just finishing the grades her kids would be going into, and ask to see their work, so she can get an idea of what material they covered. There are also practice/review workbooks that can be purchased at bookstores which are aligned to Quebec's standards (albeit in French), which would show her what would likely have been covered in that particular grade.

I would also check with local homeschoolers who have had contact with the same school board her kids would be under, to see what issues, if any, they may have had taking their kids out of school. That way she would know exactly what she might potentially be facing down the road.

HTH,