Menu

Teaching Company or Saxon Teacher

Has anyone used Teaching Company or Saxon Teacher for 87? I am looking at this for dd who hates math.

I was wanting to know what the teacher covers? It is somewhat like the DIVE cd, but with someone you can actually see teaching?

Saxon Teacher---I read that this covers all the questions...anyone use this? I watched a sample video a while back and remembered it to be dry. Any thoughts on this?

We are using Saxon Teacher for Algebra 1. I am sure it is the same set-up for 87.

You see a white board space and the teacher talks and writes the problems out on the board. They follow along with the lesson doing all the examples and then the lesson plan problems.

Is it boring? No more boring than sitting in math class. You can fast forward, pause, rewind.

I like that it gives my daughter some independence. She watches the CD and then begins the lesson. I have also been watching the CD so I can follow along with the lessons. Its been a long time since I did Algebra 1!

Art Reed's videos are highly regarded here on this forum (http://www.homeschoolwithsaxon.com/). You do see the teacher with this one. That would be my choice, but my dd likes the 'white board/no teacher to look at it' arrangement.

We also did Algebra 1 with Saxon Teacher. Not sure if I would recommend it though. It is basically the textbook in video form talked through by a grandmotherly sounding lady. We have looked at it a few times when we didn't want to do the lesson ourselves (I have a headache or am just tired). BUT it takes a LOT of extra time. I usually paraphrase the lesson for my dd, but the lady on ST does the whole thing. But, then if you are out of picture and it's only your student doing the lesson, then ST would be good for that. Just be careful about how you allow use of these CDs....the solutions are there (not on a separate CD) and that can be very tempting to look at. :glare:

The sample for Algebra 2 revealed to us that we would NOT like to listen to that woman all year long. Very annoying voice. So, be sure you listen to a sample if at all possible.

I don't know anything about Teaching Company, but I would assume it doesn't follow the text you are using, but you could skip around if needed. There is also DIVE to consider, but you can't resell those.

Good luck in your search!

Edited by LatinTea