Menu

Veritas Press History Teacher Manuals

Staceyshoe

I can't find a sample or clear description of what is included in the TM for VP. (If I'm missing something, please let me know!) I'm trying to decide between VP and Biblioplan. I like that Biblioplan includes map work, but I also like the songs from VP and we'll be using VP history cards for CC. So I'm trying to choose between:

1) Using VP History

2) Using Biblioplan with VP cards and songs

Since I'm not sure what is in the VP History TM, it's hard to choose. Any thoughts? Our history sequence will be off, but I've heard that both programs can be used with a variety of ages. Is this true? What do you like/not like about each program?

Guest aquiverfull

You can find very extensive samples online. Although, it's difficult to locate them. Here's how I find them...

Go to www.veritaspress.com Then click on the grade and then history. Then scroll down and click on "More info". Next scroll down again to the related items and click on the Homeschool Teacher's Manual. On that page under the paragraph description, it says "Click here to see a sample of this book." That will take you to the samples on Google books.

Here they are for your convenience. I just thought I'd explain how to find them above, in case anyone else was wondering.

Ancient Egypt and Old Testament

New Testament, Greece and Rome

Middle Ages, Ren and Ref

Explorers to 1815

1815 to Present

I really like the VP cards. They are beautiful. I bought the 1815 to the present Teacher's manual and cards. After looking over them, I'm not sure I will use the Teacher's guide but I really love the cards. I'm still torn on what to use, but I'll consider adding the VP cards to anything else I might choose. As far as the cycle being off... There is a VP yahoo group with schedules combining the first two guides, making a 4 year cycle instead of 5. It's true that you can use any guide with any age 2nd-6th grade. I think you could also go up or down from that age range and add in more for older students or lessen it for younger ones.

Oh and here's something else to consider.. Do you like planning it all out? If you buy just the teacher's guide(the ones I linked above) and cards, you'll have to plan how you will use the cards and what extra books you will add in. The back of the card lists books and pages to read. VP Scholars (Self Paced classes) is something totally different...You could buy the VP Scholars lessons and have everything all scheduled out for you, but it will be more expensive. Or buy the whole scholars package (books and schedule) from VP as well. I think it would be a lot more expensive than BP. BP will have the map work and all the books chosen and scheduled for you. VP without the scholars plans is extremely flexible which you may or may not find appealing.

Edited by aquiverfull

The links above are for the student worksheets. They include projects that can be done as well as the questions for the card.

Here is the link to samples of the Scholars program:

http://resource2.veritaspress.com/Resources/Scholars/Course_Descriptions_1.html

Just buying the cards and worksheets does not include a teacher's manual. If you want something that tells you day by day what to talk about then you'll want the Scholars program. IT's very well done and helps to link the cards to each other.

I didn't read all of your questions...sorry.

Yes, it can be done with a variety of ages. I have used the cards alone, I've used Scholars, and my older daughter has done the program without me.

Using the cards this year with my boys (3rd and K) without Scholars was awful. They just can not grasp the individual events. Reviewing was a nightmare for me and frankly, I just gave up about 1/2 way through. I don't think we would have had that problem if I would have just bought Scholars for this level. There are many interesting facts, plus they give you questions to ask that tie the cards together. I'm not good at that without some help!

The book suggestions are wonderful! Mapping is included in the Scholars program. It's definitely a good first-round run through history.

The second editions of the teacher manual also have lovely maps with picture medallions (of the events) at the end of the manual. The NTGR and MARR only came out with these last month. The rest of the manuals were already second editions.

Another source that schedules in VP with activities is easyclassical (easyclassical.com).

I really like the VP cards. They are beautiful. I bought the 1815 to the present Teacher's manual and cards. After looking over them, I'm not sure I will use the Teacher's guide but I really love the cards. I'm still torn on what to use, but I'll consider adding the VP cards to anything else I might choose.

aquiverfull,

:001_smile: Why are you uncertain about whether or not to use 1815 to Present with the TM? Just curious because I'm in the same boat. We purchased NT/Greece & Rome and now I'm thinking that we're not going to use it . . . keeping the cards though. :D

Thank you! I was looking for something like the Scholars Program but wouldn't have found it without your help! (Planning is sooo tedious for me!) I really like the look of the Scholars program, but I'm leaning more toward Biblioplan given the cost difference. I think the way I would implement each program would be similar.

Guest aquiverfull
aquiverfull,

:001_smile: Why are you uncertain about whether or not to use 1815 to Present with the TM? Just curious because I'm in the same boat. We purchased NT/Greece & Rome and now I'm thinking that we're not going to use it . . . keeping the cards though. :D

Well the main reason is my dd. She just doesn't want to study American History. She really wants to do Ancients. I really wanted her to do the 2nd part of American History because we never really *officially* covered it. So I'm come to a compromise with her, and we will start doing the cards pretty soon and really quickly so that we can start Ancients this fall. I don't think I'll have the time for the worksheets given the speed in which we will cover this. Stinky thing is I've already printed them all out. :glare:

Now I'm debating on whether to hold onto this teacher's manual or sell it. I actually bought both the printed version and the enhanced cd, so I'm thinking of selling the printed version for sure. I don't know if I would even use this with my younger girls. I'm not sure I want them to do lots of worksheets. I've heard a lot of people review those sheets orally and I like that idea. In fact, I'm not sure I really want to use the whole VP program for my younger girls. I do LOVE the cards though. Those are wonderful!!

Stacey- glad I could help.

Kelli,

Thanks for sharing all of that:001_smile: . . . I love the cards and songs (for the kids). I love the maps and medallions. I love the time line sheets at the back of the manual. I love the Biblical focus. But . . . I am wavering . . . The mantra, "Don't dig up in doubt what has been planted in faith" rings in my ears. :glare:

I am re-considering my VP choice for this year (that I purchased already!). I'm not sure my guys are quite ready for it yet . . . I think that the resources are excellent but may be "lost" on my 1st and 2nd grade boys. :001_smile:

I am praying a lot and thinking. . . We are back at the drawing board.

Edited by abrightmom
Fixing my comments to better reflect my thoughts!