Menu

HELP!!!! I need help figuring out my dd's Junior year...

Here's what I was thinking:

Algebra 2 (teaching textbooks, unless I can get our VCR working for the video texts curriculum I have right now)

Apologia Science Human Body with lab

we will continue our World History course

We will finish our British Literature from Lightning Lit. in the first semester, so I need help with the second semester--suggestions?

I'm not sure what else to do????? She's a good writer and I would love to really get her into more writing and more of a challenge. Does anyone have anything that they've used that is a great writing program (not IEW or something like that), self contained, and easy to teach? Maybe even something she could do on her own?

What about "The Elegant Essay"? It's an excellent workbook with writing prompts that covers the nuts and bolts of solid essay writing. Many kids are great writers from a creative standpoint or even research writing, but essays and opinion papers, not so good. DD did this course and it greatly helped her with her essay writing for college admissions. She worked fairly independently and I did the grading or occasionally asked a couple high school teacher friends of mine to give us some input.

Also, what about high school electives? Foreign language, Art History, Computer Science - Visual Basic, Powerpoint, etc. job shadowing - possibly volunteering at a local newspaper office?

You might also want to post this question on the high school board because the ladies who frequent there usually have some fantastic ideas!

Faith

What about "The Elegant Essay"? It's an excellent workbook with writing prompts that covers the nuts and bolts of solid essay writing. Many kids are great writers from a creative standpoint or even research writing, but essays and opinion papers, not so good. DD did this course and it greatly helped her with her essay writing for college admissions. She worked fairly independently and I did the grading or occasionally asked a couple high school teacher friends of mine to give us some input.

Also, what about high school electives? Foreign language, Art History, Computer Science - Visual Basic, Powerpoint, etc. job shadowing - possibly volunteering at a local newspaper office?

You might also want to post this question on the high school board because the ladies who frequent there usually have some fantastic ideas!

Faith

I will look into Elegant Essay. Sounds like what I'm looking for. Thank you!

She is fluent in foreign language (Spanish) and I'm looking at signing her up for French lessons here as well (foreign language is so cheap here only about $5 an hour). We already do Art History and Music Appreciation. She's completed a computer science course. She volunteers a lot with our mission here in Guatemala and our church-- children's ministry, tranlsation, etc.

I guess I'm looking for ideas to make sure that she has enough to do. She can't work here because we are waiting for our immigration status to change, so until then, she can't. She will be taking some sort of music lessons. But, really, that's it. I noticed last year she had a lot of free time and it just makes life a little difficult when she's looking for things to do.