Menu

For those who have used AG for 2 or more years, how is retention?

HappyGrace

I'm thinking of doing this over 6-8 grade but a little worried if they retain it during the "review weeks" and also over the long run.

And do you feel it is thorough-truly everything they need for grammar? I could be wrong but it doesn't seem to cover things like tense, cases, usage (lie/lay), etc. (We haven't done any of that so I want to do something that covers it.)

Dd will be 5th grade so I'm looking at this for the following year, but I need to know all this to figure out what to do about grammar for this year. Thanks!

(x-post hs board)

We used AG for 6th-7th-8th grade. You may read my review here.

We used Shurley 5 in 5th grade, so I understand your concern about AG's thoroughness. Shurley covers a bit more, but it's meant to be a "complete" English program. AG does not cover tenses. That has not been an issue ever with ds because we speak proper English at home and it would sound funny to him if he didn't use the proper tense. But, Shurley did cover it. Shurley covered simple, comparative, superlative forms of adjectives. AG does not. Again, since we use proper English at home, this has not been an issue with ds (anything besides good-better-best or high-higher-highest wouldn't cross his mind). Still, Shurley taught it specifically. When you say cases, I'm not sure if you mean objective vs. subjective case or something else. Objective vs. subjective is covered especially related to who/whom. AG does not cover lay/lie.

Retention for us has been fine. It's hard to measure though. Based on my son's writing, I see very little that needs grammar correction. I do intend to use the high school review books as well.

HTH!