Menu

Okay...how about minimalist GIRLS lists?

KnitWit

I mean, I KNOW that there will be the *pretties* for the room that guys could care less about...but I could really use help with not going overboard.

Do I *really* need to anticipate every single item for four months? There is a joke amongst us moms about a friend sending SUCH an awesome first aid/medicine supply for her daughter, that the whole dorm was hitting *her* up rather than going to the nurse! LOL! DD brought it HOME at Christmas and left it! LOL! She said, as much as she loved helping people and the fact that she now recognizes EVERYONE...it was rather distracting from academics! :lol:

I was a minimalist girl -- by which I mean I had less stuff to drag into my new room than most everyone else. :D

I had one set of sheets, a quilt my aunt gave me, two towels and two hand towels, no replacement toiletries, and fewer clothes than other people. Before going to college I shared a room and small closet with two sisters. My college closet was about the same size as the home closet!! I also had very few books, at the time, because my family just used the library instead of buying books.

Actually, I think a lot of my minimalist packing came from having minimal stuff at home due to a small house....Hmm....

I also didn't bring any electronics aside from my computer. My roommate had a fridge, but I rarely used it as a freshman. There was a kitchen in my dorm and a public fridge and microwave, as well. I never used the kitchen. I just ate in the cafeteria or at the alternative eating place on campus.

I only went 20 minutes away from home, so I could pick up toiletries to replace the ones I had if I needed to. If I had been farther from home I would have used the credit card my mother paid for to buy them, with her authorization. You don't need to send everything she'll need for four months..just the beginning stuff, or things she can't just buy there. If you're mailing stuff to the college ahead of time, have your child buy sheets there (provided she can work out a ride)! Linked bank accounts or having your child be an authorized user on a credit card are both easy ways for you to pay for things without being physically present, if you want to pay for things.

Thanks Hannah! Good points :)

My dd is the eldest of 6, so, yes, good point that she is already used to not having a large space to herself or lots of *stuff*.

I've been reading these college lists here and there, and I'm wondering where some of these kids store some of this stuff! LOL!

My dd will be 3.5 hours from home.