Menu

Well, some decisions were made :)

mommy4ever

After thought, discussion, reading and prayer, I decided to enroll dd11 into a homeschool academy :) DD6 will enroll as well, but as a traditional homeschooler. She will follow the classical path that is working well for her. DD11 will do more academy classes, which will align her with the provincial curriculum.

As a result, dd13 is coming home too ;) She is also enrolling in the academy :) I am very happy. They have some great programs. It is Catholic, which I have been battling, and I have been in touch with the nun that is teaching, she is fabulous!

I have been reading about the programs, and am pleased. This is the best of both worlds, I will still be doing the teaching, they are doing the research to be sure the curriculum is aligned with the province, they will get all the credit they need to graduate. They will also be able to progress at the pace they need to be going. Accelerated where they are thriving, slower where it's more challenging.

What is really, really cool, is I think my favorite English teacher, is AT THIS ACADEMY! He was fabulous!

DD11 likes homeschooling, but we have had lots of challenges getting the right curriculum. So this is the happy medium for next year. It will follow what she has been doing at school. I'd love to follow WTM for her, but she is very resistant to change. She once cried for a week because I changed the photos on the wall. So, that she is working well at home is fantastic, but the change in approach was overwhelming :). We can always change the path the next year if we have to.

It will free up my time obsessing over curriculum and focus on teaching her, and getting her to thrive. Same with dd13. She was unsure about going home. The style changes, the loss of her peers during the day, was overwhelming, plus the thought of not having credit for university application. We are still behind in Canada, it is harder without a diploma. So she is coming home in the fall. She is an excellent student and will do well. Now she doesn't have the drama of the school bus, the classroom. Did I mention there was a sexual assault at her school recently? A stabbing at another school?

Now her grandparents will relax knowing their grand kids can get a diploma.

And I can educate the littlest with a Classical Education, and watch her continue to thrive!

I feel it's a bit of a cop out.

But I also think we can expand from there. Going from no homeschoolers to a grade 1 and 5 3 months ago, to a grade 8, 5, and 2 in the fall, is overwhelming to start with.