Menu

MUS vs. Rightstart.

Aoife

Ok so I will admit I love math threads :lol: I have the RS books here and go back and forth about them although I LOVE their games. I keep seeing positive things about MUS on this board and others I visit and I keep finding myself going to the site and taking a look and being intrigued :tongue_smilie: I don't really know much about it though and am really curious so I can put it in my "thinking box" in case we ever need to change our setup in the future.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I use the Right Start games with MUS. I decided against RS because it's teacher intensive and doesn't go through High School. I also own MM's Blue, Green and Golden Series, Math On The Level, and all the LOF books. You don't want to know all the history curricula and texts I have. Yes, I'm seriously addicted;):lol: MUS is our main math and I add to it what I like from the other curricula.

I honestly don't get the teacher intensive thing about Rightstart. It takes no planning/prep. In fact, I've read some dislike the scripted nature of the teacher's guide. When people say teacher intensive I assume it's because you do the lessons with the child as it's all hands on. I would assume, though, most early level math programs are teacher/student together? Isn't it? Is Math U See something the child does on his/her own at the K or even 1st grade level? Maybe! I don't know. I want to be with my kids for this early foundational math no matter the program I use. I realize if I had more kids though I might need a program that didn't require me (if that exists at this level).

From what I can tell both programs are really good at getting the conceptual "why" behind math. I'm sure either are good approaches. I'm equally sure certain ones fit certain children better. I think RightStart fits us better. If you can get your hands on MathUSee somehow to compare I imagine you'll know just from looking which is a better fit for your child. I'm still not sure I'd switch though.

I did look at MUS (in person) but I've not used it. It seemed Math U See was more worksheet based than RightStart by a lot. My impression was that it was a little "one note" compared to RightStart's variety of materials and activities used. Of course that was my initial impression not having actually used it! RightStart's variety and quick, segmented lessons really work well for my attention challenged boy.

I do think both programs are good though, again, one might fit a particular child better. I can't imagine MathUSee is so much superior (or vice-versa) that a person would want to switch if what they have is working. But if you start RightStart and it's not a fit MathUSee would seem like a logical next try. I know someone who switched to RightStart from MathUSee because the MathUSee just wasn't working. I could see that happening with either program. I can't imagine, though, jumping from one of them to the other if what I had was working because they are both strong programs.

Edited by sbgrace

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I honestly don't get the teacher intensive thing about Rightstart. It takes no planning/prep. In fact, I've read some dislike the scripted nature of the teacher's guide. When people say teacher intensive I assume it's because you do the lessons with the child as it's all hands on. I would assume, though, most early level math programs are teacher/student together? Isn't it? Is Math U See something the child does on his/her own at the K or even 1st grade level? Maybe! I don't know. I want to be with my kids for this early foundational math no matter the program I use. I realize if I had more kids though I might need a program that didn't require me (if that exists at this level).

From what I can tell both programs are really good at getting the conceptual "why" behind math. I'm sure either are good approaches. I'm equally sure certain ones fit certain children better. I think RightStart fits us better. If you can get your hands on MathUSee somehow to compare I imagine you'll know just from looking which is a better fit for your child. I'm still not sure I'd switch though.

I did look at MUS (in person) but I've not used it. It seemed Math U See was more worksheet based than RightStart by a lot. My impression was that it was a little "one note" compared to RightStart's variety of materials and activities used. Of course that was my initial impression not having actually used it! RightStart's variety and quick, segmented lessons really work well for my attention challenged boy.

I do think both programs are good though, again, one might fit a particular child better. I can't imagine MathUSee is so much superior (or vice-versa) that a person would want to switch if what they have is working. But if you start RightStart and it's not a fit MathUSee would seem like a logical next try. I know someone who switched to RightStart from MathUSee because the MathUSee just wasn't working. I could see that happening with either program. I can't imagine, though, jumping from one of them to the other if what I had was working because they are both strong programs.

I absolutely agree! I wasn't trying to dis RS, just explain why I didn't chose it. When we found MUS my children were in 5th/6th grade and I knew I was going to have to take them back to the beginning due to a horrible foundation in math. I looked at RS before I found the MUS demo and while I thought it looked really great it only being an elementary program was pretty much a deal breaker since my children were older and would move through it pretty quickly, and then need to switch to yet another math curricula. I also had a baby with serious medical needs so my time was very limited. MUS isn't something a young child can do all on their own but is something doesn't need as much parent involvement as RS as the child gets older because the DVD is doing the bulk of the teaching.