Menu

Saxon DIVE cd question

Aoife

DH has a friend at work who is a homeschooler and gave us a bunch of saxon math books all the way up to 7/6. :) I keep seeing DIVE cds mentioned on the boards but can't find them on the saxon site. Are the a necessary item like should I look for them for certain levels? We will be using saxon along side of SM with RS mixed in here or there if that gives a better picture of what we are doing. I just don't want to not be able to find them down the line if the editions change or something and they are a more necessary item. Thanks!

The DIVE cd's are not necessary to teach Saxon math, but are very helpful especially if you are not a mathy person. Here is the description from www.christianbook.com I think they explain it better than I could.

"Boost your students understanding of Saxon Math with DIVE's easy-to-understand lectures! Each lesson in Saxon Math's textbook is taught step-by-step on a digital whiteboard, averaging about 10-15 minutes in length; and because each lesson is stored separately, you can easily move about from lesson-to-lesson as well as maneuver within the lesson you're watching. "

The CD-ROM is not necessary, but an option with Saxon. Saxon does now offer The Saxon Teacher CD-ROM. Both are available from many sources such as Rainbow Resource and CBC. The Saxon Teacher is more expensive, but has more on them.

We've used the DIVE here, and will use Saxon Teacher version next year. I hope it's as good a fit here:).

Grades: 6-7

Retail: $50.00

Rainbow Price: $49.90

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video clip lectures developed for use with Saxon’s Home Study Kits (though designed FOR, they were not designed BY Saxon). Lecture sets, which contain one lecture per lesson, are available by level for Math 54 through Calculus and Physics. Each level is contained on one or two CD-ROMs. D.I.V.E. lectures are ideal for the student who needs a little more explanation than what’s available in the text. I’ve found that even when you carefully read a math text, it’s often easier to understand a new concept if you can hear someone else verbalize it. The lectures are approximately 10-20 minutes long (the higher the level, the longer lecture). Each lecture is stored in its own file. To use D.I.V.E., the student opens his text to the next lesson and opens the corresponding lecture file on the computer. Lectures take place on a chalkboard/whiteboard screen. You hear the teacher, but don’t actually see him - rather you only see what he writes on the board. The student’s job is to follow along in the text (please note: the D.I.V.E. CDs do not follow along with the text on a problem-by-problem basis) and to take notes. In a typical lecture, the teacher gives a short explanation and works several practice problems. Lectures are given by Dr. David Shormann, an experienced math and science teacher. Aside from an occasional quote from the Bible (used to preface a lecture), the content is always focused on the topic at hand. Lectures can easily be paused, rewound, or fast-forwarded so the student can work at his own pace. For the Physics level, a Physics Video Lab is available in addition to the regular D.I.V.E CD-ROM. This convenient video tutorial follows Saxon Physics 1st Edition and the regular CD lectures. It performs the experiments for you using several thousand dollars worth of science equipment, including radar guns, photogate timers, and stroboscopes. Each Physics Video Lab includes photos, video, and graphs and tables from the lab experiment. Students can print out a lab activity sheet, watch the lab and record experimental data, pause the CD-ROM to complete calculations, and then turn the CD back on to check work. 23 labs are included in all and most of them follow the scientific method (question, hypothesis, methods, results, discussion). All labs are taught from a Christian perspective. Four quarterly exams, with video solutions, are also provided (these are based on the exams found in the Saxon Physics test book, so students can study these to prepare for those exams). At each level, these tutorials provide valuable verbal instruction for students. Please note that the edition of the DIVE CD must match the edition of the Saxon textbook that you are using. System requirements: Windows 95 or greater (including Vista), Mac OS (all versions), Quicktime (free to download at http://www.apple.com), speakers, CD-ROM drive. ~ Anh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Tammyla

I bought the DIVE CD this year to go with level 5/4, but we never used it. I previewed it myself, and found the explanations very short and not really worth bothering with. It was easier for me to just explain the lessons myself and adjust/customize my explanations based on which parts my dc did or did not understand.

For the higher levels (Alg. and up) that I may not be able to explain well enough myself, some sort of CD or DVD would likely be useful, but for the earlier levels, and especially considering that you are using Saxon along with a couple of other programs, I wouldn't say they would be necessary, or even useful.

:iagree: We didn't begin with the DIVE until Algebra here.

I bought the DIVE CD this year to go with level 5/4, but we never used it. I previewed it myself, and found the explanations very short and not really worth bothering with. It was easier for me to just explain the lessons myself and adjust/customize my explanations based on which parts my dc did or did not understand.

For the higher levels (Alg. and up) that I may not be able to explain well enough myself, some sort of CD or DVD would likely be useful, but for the earlier levels, and especially considering that you are using Saxon along with a couple of other programs, I wouldn't say they would be necessary, or even useful.

We didn't begin with the DIVE until Algebra here.

:iagree: Started using DIVE cd's with Alg 1. They are not made by Saxon, but are taught from a Christian viewpoint...very nice.

I hear the new Saxon Teacher DVDs are wonderful... a little too late for me. :)