Menu

If you are implementing SWB's A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Middle Grades

Would you please share if you are using the WTM recommended curriculum sources, or if you are using sources of your own choosing? And which ones?

I am considering starting her writing approach next year for my 5th and 7th graders. I plan to use SOTW for narrations. I'm undecided as far as outlining, but I'd like to use A Child's Story of America and BJU's American Republic for a Christian perspective. However, I may add in an encyclopedia if the latter do not lend themselves to good outlining. I'm not wild about the encyclopedias, but if that is the best way then that's the route I'll take.

Also, please share what your weekly schedule looks like? My tentative schedule:

5th:

narration 2x: Story of the World Vol. 3

outline with main points 1x: A Child's Story of America (?)

literary response 1x: current literature (may use WWE in place of)

7th:

narration 2x: Story of the World Vol. 3

outline with main and sub-points 2x (will be adding details start of 2nd semester): BJU's American Republic (?)

literary response 1x: current literature

I do have the current WTM and I love the practical steps she has laid out. I need to read through specific sections again though. I think I'm just a little nervous because I've never gone beyond written narrations with the boys. They've done a few book reports and other written assignments assigned within their English books, but I haven't ventured out with the WTM suggestions. They have been using the Remedia outlining books this year so I think they'll do well in that area. I just don't want to supply them with a difficult source to outline from.

Anyhow, thank you for your thoughts, Christina. :)

Would you please share if you are using the WTM recommended curriculum sources, or if you are using sources of your own choosing? And which ones?

Also, please share what your weekly schedule looks like?

My ds outlines twice a week and narrates twice a week. He just outlines or narrates from any library book or World Book encyclopedia article that is well-written and related to his history or science "spine" reading each week.

My ds outlines twice a week and narrates twice a week. He just outlines or narrates from any library book or World Book encyclopedia article that is well-written and related to his history or science "spine" reading each week.

I like the simplicity of you plan, Colleen! I'm still adjusting to the fact that I won't have an "official" writing curriculum, yet I know the WTM is so much more beneficial.

Thank you,

I like the simplicity of you plan, Colleen! I'm still adjusting to the fact that I won't have an "official" writing curriculum, yet I know the WTM is so much more beneficial.

Thank you,

I just reread your OP a little more carefully, and I think you might like a little more detail? LOL, had I read closely, I would have given more!

One of his weekly narrations is either a literature narration (combining narrating with learning to answer those lit. analysis questions like SWB talked about), or a narration on a primary source, using the primary source questions from WTM. His other narration and his two outlines incorporate his science and history reading - we loosely rotate.

He is working on two-level outlines this year, too.

Next year he will work on three-level outlines, and then learn to rewrite from them. When he learns to rewrite, we will drop a narration, but keep a literature-or-primary source narration in the weekly schedule. And again, the outlines/rewrites will incorporate history and science reading (lib. books, encyclopoedias, etc.), and will be loosely rotated between them.

I've really enjoyed implementing SWB's writing plan over the past year - it is so freeing, and so effective. I just have to make sure I incorporate previous skills he has learned through narration (storyline? details? complete sentences?), and incorporate his grammar learning. Diagraming really is a useful tool for editing, just like she said. Ds continues to sharpen his thinking/organizing skills through narration and outlining. I can see it in how he expresses himself in other areas of life. He thinks through whatever he is trying to tell us about something, be it Lego creations or a spat with his sister. :D

Edited by Colleen in NS

Thank you again, Colleen. I was curious if your ds had started writing from the outline. I too am convinced about diagramming. Both of our middle boys do well with it. I think they enjoy the construction aspect... building on paper, I suppose.

I also think that it's great that you have noticed his narrating and outlining skills in his daily conversation. I have found that my boys are better oral communicators with a few years of narration under their belts.

And thanks for the subscription, Rose. ;)

Edited by angela&4boys

I think they enjoy the construction aspect... building on paper, I suppose.

YES! I never thought of it this way, but this is the case here, too (Lego fan)! (Lately ds has also been fascinated by the more complicated grammar forms in Latin - which make MY head spin - but I think it's the construction aspect there, too - nothing like learning something that has some structure to it, eh?)