Menu

VP and SL together

Ok, so I just looked at the VP catalog and had the kids do a sample lesson of the new self paced online lessons and they absolutely love it. We are doing SOTW right now and they keep asking to "do the one on the computer". My plan for my oldest who will be 7 was to do SL 1 for history, but now I am questioning my approach. I am a working HS Mom and will be in a masters program during this next year. I know that VP is new, but does anyone think that I can use them in combo together so that my DD can do it online when I am at work and then we can read about it with the SL books when I am at home. I am sure it will take some work on my part to make them correlate but, I think that it may be a good combo to break up some of it. It will also help me out when I am not home.

What do you think?

Right now we are using SOTW but not too far in, and havent done too much history.

Alana:confused:

I have used SL for a number of years and I previewed those VP lessons as well. I had my son watch a couple of them and he absolutely loved them. However, I don't see how I can possibly fit this into our day unless he loves it so much he wants to watch it during his evening television time. I've been really torn about it because I think he'd learn a ton from the VP lessons, but I'm not going to dump reading with the kids for them to watch something on the computer. It's also a little too pricey for me right now.

Let me know if you figure a way to do both because I'd love to hear it.

Lisa

I think it sounds like a great combination and would certainly free up some of your time! I've not looked at the online courses, but VP traditionally has broken up its ancient history over two years.

If the course uses the cards of their regular history program, then the first half of core 1 would be with the VP Ancient Egypt/OT set and the 2nd half of core 1 would go with the VP Greece/Rome/NT set. Depending on which year you were doing, you'd only have to align half of core 1 which would make it easier for you.

If I were you, I'd count on the VP being your main curriculum and add in SL as you can. Our favorites were the RA's (of course!), CHOW, Time Travelers, and Missionary Stories w/ the Millers. You probably could add these in w/o even using the IG.

Hope this makes sense!

Edited by sandra in va
spelling error