Menu

Question about Biblioplan

Josie

I have looked at the Biblioplan samples on their site, but I still have some questions.

1. Is the schedule the entire program?

2. Are there additional book options listed somewhere?

3. Are there discussion questions listed somewhere?

4. Are there vocabulary words listed somewhere?

5. I do not have a good library. How many books will I need to buy?

I think this would be good for us because it looks easy to use across a wide age range. I like that it has the high school supplement. What are some pros and cons from YOUR point of view?

what you are buying is a schedule of what books to use and what to read, when, with some ideas for timeline topics, writing projects, etc. B. is useful in that the work of deciding what spines to use, what pages to read when, etc. is done for you. You still have to acquire the books (buy the spines, such as SOTW, Hakim, etc) and use the library for any others. B. provides a huge list of possible fiction reading material, broken down by age, that can go with the history cycle. What you do not own you can get from the library.

There are no vocabulary words, worksheets, etc. B. is primarily a Plan, with lots of recommended Books (hence the name - just figured it out!). It saves you a ton of prep. work. That is why many folks use it.

Hope this helps.

I have looked at the Biblioplan samples on their site, but I still have some questions.

1. Is the schedule the entire program?

2. Are there additional book options listed somewhere?

3. Are there discussion questions listed somewhere?

4. Are there vocabulary words listed somewhere?

5. I do not have a good library. How many books will I need to buy?

I think this would be good for us because it looks easy to use across a wide age range. I like that it has the high school supplement. What are some pros and cons from YOUR point of view?

1. The schedule is most of the program; Biblioplan is now offering a seperate timeline, maps, and coloring pages. They are coming out between now and summer.

2. Yes, there are additional book options.

3 & 4. No, discussion questions or vocabulary words.

5. You might need quite a few. I purchase only the core books and use the library for all others or simply skip the book. The Ancient Israel section frustrated us because I could not find many of the books at the library. Without the books, Biblioplan lost much of its appeal.

One major pro I've found is that the class time readings are reasonable. There are 3 scheduled a week and in a crunch, I'm able to complete the 3 readings in 2 days. The books are well chosen and are age appropriate. The children usually enjoy the books they are assigned to read. 3rd-5th graders usually read 50 pages a week, 5th and up read around 100 pages a week. The family read alouds are scheduled for 50 pages a week. It fits into the time I have available for history studies.

The biggest negative I can foresee is that Biblioplan does not have discussion questions/ideas for the high school grades. Otherwise I plan on sticking with Biblioplan through high school.

HTH! :001_smile: