Menu

If you went from MUS pre-Algebra to MUS Algebra

Night Elf

Did you feel your student was ready? Does Mr. Steve sort of stay the course in his instruction?

I posted lots of math questions recently and was thinking of having dd12 repeat a pre-Algebra program but with a different curriculum. I purchased Saxon Algebra 1/2. While there are some things in there my dd12 didn't recognize, she said she just really wants to order MUS Algebra and just try it. I guess part of my concern is that she is so young, not to mention until the past week, she was having some issues understanding negative numbers. That just seems to have clicked now and she is moving forward. She's only 8 lessons from the end. So I'm placing an order for Algebra today.

Anyway, did your child do well from one level to the next? I'm worried it's such a jump!

My daughter is currently finishing Algebra 1 right now. She did Pre-Algebra last year (both MUS). If your daughter does well with MUS, I would stay with it. She may get stuck at times and you can supplement with something to help her out. My daughter gets stuck a lot, but math is not her forte. So I finally began watching the DVD with her and even sometimes rewatching.

MUS does teach Algebra differently than other programs. There is a lot of graphing in the beginning. But yes, Mr. Demme does stay the course and teaches in the same step-by-step manner.

The yahoo group has been very helpful this year as well as the contact MUS. There were times when I have posted to yahoo needing help and times I contacted MUS. Both were extremely helpful.

Good Luck to you.

Lisa

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
My daughter is currently finishing Algebra 1 right now. She did Pre-Algebra last year (both MUS). If your daughter does well with MUS, I would stay with it. She may get stuck at times and you can supplement with something to help her out. My daughter gets stuck a lot, but math is not her forte. So I finally began watching the DVD with her and even sometimes rewatching.

MUS does teach Algebra differently than other programs. There is a lot of graphing in the beginning. But yes, Mr. Demme does stay the course and teaches in the same step-by-step manner.

The yahoo group has been very helpful this year as well as the contact MUS. There were times when I have posted to yahoo needing help and times I contacted MUS. Both were extremely helpful.

Good Luck to you.

Lisa

:iagree: My boys are just finishing Algebra 1 and they were very prepared by Pre-Algebra. If you feel the need to take a break before moving on to Algebra 1 I'd be more inclined to go through the Life of Fred Pre-Algebra books.