Menu

What are my options for 8th grade science?

I am not a science person, neither is my son. We are conservative Christians (young earth, creationist) and have used the Apologia elementary series. I thought we would just continue with Apologia. Well, he is doing General Science (2 weeks now) and he HATES it. I don't have a lot of money, so what are my options? I can't wait to hear about all the options because while I am knowledgeable in several areas on different curriculum, science is not one of them. :tongue_smilie:

I hear, and have experienced really good things with Apologia, except for the General Science book. I don't know why, but you're not alone in having a student who doesn't like the book. If you like the basic style of Apologia, I'd try their Physical Science. It's the only Apologia book we've used (Physical Science), and my daughter who hated science, really likes it and is doing well.

Have you looked at God's Design for Science? It is actually one you could use with all of your dc if you'd like. There are down-loadable pdf. samples on the website.

There is also BJU, which we love, but which is somewhat expensive and teacher intensive. If you said, "Money is no problem" then I would recommend BJU with the DVDs that add TONS to the curriculum and take out the teacher intensity. :-)

There are also the Sonlight Science sets. My middle son was allowed to pick whatever science interested him for 8th. He picked Sonlight's Science 4: Electricity & Magnetism!! I was horrified at first, but he had a GREAT time and loved it. He then took Physical in 9th, Biology AND Chemistry in 10th (he wanted to graduate in 11th), and Physics in 11th....all with no problem. So SL Sci 4 in 8th grade did him zero harm. ;)

There is also the new NOEO Chemistry III. My experience with their Chem II was not favorable (ds was bored to tears), but I know others liked it just fine.

Not a curric suggestion, but our area is having tons of used book sales through the various homeschool groups. It certainly helps with the cost when you can find good curric for about half price.

Have you considered Bob Jones Science? We've used Apologia for several years and still love it, but BJU would probably be my second choice.

Have you seen Apologia's Elem Science Anatomy and Physiology? This isn't exactly lightweight stuff and would suffice for a 7th grade science, I think. My 11 year old just started it and loves it.