Menu

Shurley Grammar.....Where do you start a 7th grader?

Mindy

Depends on where they're coming from, how they take to grammar, etc. If they struggle mightily with grammar or have NO background, I would consider doing Shurley 6 this year and 7 the next. That way you'd have a gentle ramping up. Look at the scope & sequence, and you'll see the big jump from Shurley 6 to 7. But if your student has more or less done some of the basics (knows a direct object, indirect object, etc.), he could jump right into 7. I haven't taught a 7th grader, so I can't say. I'd also consider AG at that point. What I'm really saying is you need to slow down that pace and get some repetition in there. It's not enough to take one hard level and spread it out, because they don't get to see stuff afresh in the new year. They need to go through it then hit it again and have the "oh yeah, I recognize that!" experience.

I have Shurley 7 for us to do this fall btw, and we'll probably go into AG after that. Shurley *so* fits my student, I hate to jump now. However if it's going to take you two years to get into Shurley and get your dc up to speed *and* he won't be doing any diagramming, then you might consider going right into AG and being done with that. I don't know why I'm even saying that, because I'm a huge Shurley fan. But there you go. We do diagramming in our Shurley time btw, even though it's not listed in the tm. In the lower grades you have 3 sentences a day, and we diagram one from the 3 sentence set. In the level 7 you have 5 sentences, and I would diagram 2. It's not that hard to add in. CLE has an inexpensive little book you might find handy as a reference. Or if it really bugs you, Rainbow Resource sells some really nice workbooks on sentence diagramming. I got one for us to use this coming year, just for fun. There are two levels of this: http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Better+Sentence+Structure+Thru+Diagramming+1/029387/1273980396-609803

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Depends on where they're coming from, how they take to grammar, etc. If they struggle mightily with grammar or have NO background, I would consider doing Shurley 6 this year and 7 the next. That way you'd have a gentle ramping up. Look at the scope & sequence, and you'll see the big jump from Shurley 6 to 7. But if your student has more or less done some of the basics (knows a direct object, indirect object, etc.), he could jump right into 7. I haven't taught a 7th grader, so I can't say. I'd also consider AG at that point. What I'm really saying is you need to slow down that pace and get some repetition in there. It's not enough to take one hard level and spread it out, because they don't get to see stuff afresh in the new year. They need to go through it then hit it again and have the "oh yeah, I recognize that!" experience.

I have Shurley 7 for us to do this fall btw, and we'll probably go into AG after that. Shurley *so* fits my student, I hate to jump now. However if it's going to take you two years to get into Shurley and get your dc up to speed *and* he won't be doing any diagramming, then you might consider going right into AG and being done with that. I don't know why I'm even saying that, because I'm a huge Shurley fan. But there you go. We do diagramming in our Shurley time btw, even though it's not listed in the tm. In the lower grades you have 3 sentences a day, and we diagram one from the 3 sentence set. In the level 7 you have 5 sentences, and I would diagram 2. It's not that hard to add in. CLE has an inexpensive little book you might find handy as a reference. Or if it really bugs you, Rainbow Resource sells some really nice workbooks on sentence diagramming. I got one for us to use this coming year, just for fun. There are two levels of this: http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Better+Sentence+Structure+Thru+Diagramming+1/029387/1273980396-609803

How funny, that is exactly what we decided to do next year (we are just finishing Shurley 7)!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I figured we would have to back up in the levels and go slower, thanks for the advice. Elizabeth, can you please tell me what AG and CLE mean? :001_huh:

Thanks, Ladies!

I agree with Elizabeth, if he hasn't has much experience with grammar I would back up to Level 6. Level 7 is much deeper and goes much faster than the previous levels, which is why I do it over 2 years instead of 1. I've done it over 7th/8th grades for one son and 8th/9th grades for the other because we've done it together and it has been plenty challenging for the older son so I wouldn't worry about taking it into upper grades even though it's labeled "7."