Menu

Driving to New York City....where to stay? How to get around?

I want to take a road trip to New York. I hate road trips (this one would be 16 hours one way) but I really want to see New York.

Once there, where should we stay? Outside of the city, right? But I don't want to be very far....is there any good, safe places within 10 minutes of the city? Also, how would we get around? I assume taking our own vehicle into NYC is not really an option? But what about our kids riding in their car seats? I'm terrified of strangers driving....if I got into a taxi cab I'm afraid I would have a panic attack LOL.

What would a 3 year old and a 6 year old enjoy in NYC? Anything in particular? I'd love to see a show or a TV show taping but can't see taking kids of these ages.

Any advice for a family tripi to NYC?

Whew, that's a tough one. To me cities are best experienced with kids who are a bit older. New York is soooo wonderful, but soooo expensive. I would think hard about going at their ages. I'm dying to go to NYC and Washington, DC, but based on our recent experience in Paris, we're going to wait. We basically spent most of our time in the parks. The Louvre was a thirty minute experience (expected) and it was incredibly tiring. I love to travel and as it's an imperative for my children to see the world, I will never regret bringing them, but we're holding off until they're a bit older to go to Washington and NYC again.

I brought my son to NYC when he was three years walked into the museum of natural history, he took one look at the animal dioramas and we spent the rest of the day in Central Park. We went to the top of the Empire State Building and the first thing he asked was when we were going down. So, if you can make the trip again, then go. But if it's something you do only once, I would wait. Be prepared to spend lots of money.

If you do go, Museum of Natural History and Metropolitan Museum of Art are both entrance by "suggested" donation. As you have small children, don't let them strong arm you or guilt you; pay what you feel comfortable. I remember one trip to New York my wife and I walked into Trinity Church and had the pleasure of watching the orchestra practice. If you do some research, there are lots of free things to do.

The Botanical Gardens are wonderful as is the Bronx Zoo across the street (as I remember as a kid, could be rundown). The Cloisters are and nice respite and of course, Central Park.

We always stay in ct and ride the train in. Then we use the subway to get around. Time square has american girl and build a bear. The bronx zoo is amazing! You can always visit tine central park.

I was going to suggest the same. There is a fantastic transit system into NYC from outlying areas and there are some nice towns in CT to stay. But of course, you have to weigh the cost of train tickets into New York every day against the cost of a hotel without the hassle. CT is about a 45 train trip into Manhattan.

http://www.mta.info/mnr/