Menu

More CNED questions... pretty please?...

I'm confused again. : ) This is a pretty normal state for high school planning, it seems SIGH.

Are a whole year's materials available online all the time?

It looks like I can download the online materials for a class. Is that correct?

What am I looking at when I go to that site? The text, or the CNED extra material? If I understand you correctly, I am looking at the CNED part and I must buy the paper text that goes with it.

If so, will I be able to find the text? Or do I need to get the text from CNED by signing up?

Is this correct? There are three ways to use CNED:

1 - Buy the textbook on my own and use the online study guide. Are all the lessons and answers available year round?

2 - Sign up and receive the textbook that goes with the online study guide. Does this cost money?

3 - Sign up and receive the textbook and a correcting/grading/record-keeping service. This definately costs money, right?

Would they care that my son was a 16yo signing up for a 7e course?

What happens when my son goes to Japan for a few months in December?

He usually finishes up missed work for travel by skimping a bit, working weekends, and working some in the summer. This is why I have avoided CNED in the past. Do the materials expire in any way, or would we be able to keep plugging through them past the normal time of the year?

I'm not sure the grading service would be useful with my son's writing ability. We're working on it, but he has a long way to go. He works in cursive for French, but he would baulk at writing in pen. He alternates between being grateful that he can speak another language and not wanting to put hard work into something he can already do well enough for his own purposes - talking to girls and playing games in a different time zone - we are talking typical teenage boy here, not an academic saint.

-Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass

Are a whole year's materials available online all the time?

Yes, all the time now. Actually, let me take that back. Last year, they had summer courses over the summer, but it was their first year. I don't know what they'll do this year. Anyway, summer time is a big question. Otherwise the material is there all the time.

It looks like I can download the online materials for a class. Is that correct?

Yes.

What am I looking at when I go to that site? The text, or the CNED extra material? If I understand you correctly, I am looking at the CNED part and I must buy the paper text that goes with it.

The CNED material is online. The textbook (aka Hachette, or Belin, or whatever they choose) is extra. Some courses do not need an extra textbook.

If so, will I be able to find the text? Or do I need to get the text from CNED by signing up?

the textbook is available from regular libraries. The ISBN is online, somewhere ;-)

http://www.campus-electronique.tm.fr/college/College/ListeLivres/CollegeListesLivres.htm

Is this correct? There are three ways to use CNED:

1 - Buy the textbook on my own and use the online study guide. Are all the lessons and answers available year round?

2 - Sign up and receive the textbook that goes with the online study guide. Does this cost money?

this option does not exist. There is no way you can get the textbook from CNED. Only their material. You have to find the textbooks on your own. Usually, you get them from Amazon.fr

3 - Sign up and receive the textbook and a correcting/grading/record-keeping service. This definately costs money, right?

Yes, it does cost money. If you sign up for a complete year, you can get a subsidized inscription, which costs less than a single course! However, you have to take (and pass) all classes, or you won't be considered again the following year.

Would they care that my son was a 16yo signing up for a 7e course?

There's a one year leeway that's available without question. Otherwise you have to justify. I have no clue what they require for justification.

What happens when my son goes to Japan for a few months in December?

How can he go for a few months in December? ;-)

You don't have to keep up with their schedule. You can lag, or go faster, there's no penalty. However all work must be done by June. (end of June I think)

Do the materials expire in any way, or would we be able to keep plugging through them past the normal time of the year?

See above

I'm not sure the grading service would be useful with my son's writing ability. We're working on it, but he has a long way to go. He works in cursive for French, but he would baulk at writing in pen.

There is no need for cursive nor pen at those levels. In fact my son hands in his work typed in Word.

I hope this clarifies a few things. Oh I was just looking at the list of books for next year, and they've removed a lot of the textbooks requirements! For example, in French, no textbook is needed anymore, only novels. There's no textbook either in history/geography/citizenship.

Edited by CleoQc