Menu

Classical Conversations for secular families

Snowfall

Have any secular families done CC and enjoyed it? There are three local home school groups in my area and they ALL require you to sign a statement of faith. We are not religious and can't do that, so we can't get involved in any of the local groups and are feeling pretty isolated. I do have one friend who is also schooling at home, but that's it. We're a military family, so we don't have a long history in the area and I'd really like DD to have more exposure to other people. Plus, it sounds like fun.

Can anyone weigh in on this idea? Thanks!

We do CC and are Christian, not secular. But, we do fall to the 'left' politically of where our CC group is and it has been at times a challenge but pros outweigh cons, etc. That being said, I think you need to ask the director what THEY think about you joining as a non-Christian and be open with them about where you are and your homeschooling goals. You should be able to get a pretty quick read on whether you and your family would feel at home in the group. Also, I think that maybe CC corporately requires all forms to be signed to be officially enrolled, so ask about that, too.

Have any secular families done CC and enjoyed it? There are three local home school groups in my area and they ALL require you to sign a statement of faith. We are not religious and can't do that, so we can't get involved in any of the local groups and are feeling pretty isolated. I do have one friend who is also schooling at home, but that's it. We're a military family, so we don't have a long history in the area and I'd really like DD to have more exposure to other people. Plus, it sounds like fun.

Can anyone weigh in on this idea? Thanks!

I think it could work for you! In our group, we have had an "unchurched" family with us. They left due to behavior expectations, not faith issues. (We're a newish group)

Can you deal with the fact that CC comes with a Christian Worldview? The top of the organization is very conservative... in every way! Those in CC, even leadership on a local level, have a wide range of beliefs.... but must be from a Christian standpoint that is summed up on their Statement of Faith.

As a member, you do not have to AGREE with the SOF, just sign that you understand that it's where CC is coming from.

Where this might come into play in the younger years.... The "date" that is attached in some groups to Creation. (you can choose to explain that this differs depending on what people believe)

There are some instances where there may be references to things you would disagree with. There will be prayer and prayer requests, probably every week.

In the most liberal spot in our State, I asked the Director how she deals with having Christians of many beliefs and also non-Christians.

She said that she explains at the beginning that CC is for learning the grammar work... not for explaining your beliefs... or lack of them.... or anything except... well... the grammar work. It's not for converting... or chatting around donuts and coffee.... She backs this up by insisting that parents stay involved in the classes... and helping with the class.... versus chatting at the back.

I know that there are a variety of different beliefs... from Muslim... to faiths that aren't considered "Christian" by many... to secular... involved with CC.

If I know the answer... I'd be happy to help with any questions :)

:)

As a participant, you aren't required to sign a statement of faith. Directors and tutors do but not the participating families.

Since the motto of CC is "To know God, and make him known" the curriculum is naturally Christian based. In our community, we don't single anyone out about their beliefs or debate. We do pray, thank God, read verses that pertain to what we are studying, etc. Timeline cards start with Creation, Fall in the Garden, Cain and Abel, so biblical history is lined up through the timeline. If you are fine with that and have a welcoming group, go for it. I am concerned that you were given the impression that parents needed to sign the statement of faith. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not standard or required.

I know of communities with "unbelievers" or whatever, and, when I was trained as a director, those families were welcome.

Okay, I just read NayfiesMom's reply and - really?! - families are being required to sign the SOF? I signed up 2 yrs. ago so maybe I signed it but I don't think so. I did as a tutor and director since I'm representing CC but not as a participant. Maybe it depends on the community you are part of?? I remember specifically discussing w/our state mgr. about families who were not believers and I am positive they are welcome here in TX (with the understanding, of course, that CC is a Christian org. and won't be adapting the curriculum to suit a more secular bias).

April

Okay, I just read NayfiesMom's reply and - really?! - families are being required to sign the SOF? I signed up 2 yrs. ago so maybe I signed it but I don't think so.

April

NO, I'm not saying they have to agree or sign a SOF. I am saying that they have to sign that they UNDERSTAND what statement of faith that the group as an organization is coming from.... I think the difference between understanding where the group is coming from... and saying that you BELIEVE the statement of faith... is a HUGE difference....

:)

Thank you all! I'm sorry I wasn't clear in my original post. It's not the local CC groups that require you to sign a statement of faith. I haven't actually contacted them yet. It's the local home schoolers' associations and groups that all require that. You actually have to be a Christian to join any of the local home schooling groups - or at least pretend to be one. There is also a Muslim group, but that group is also not open to people of other/no faiths. I have a newborn and I got too rushed to explain well. I wouldn't at all mind signing something stating that I understood that CC was a Christian program or something like that. I just wouldn't, for ethical reasons, pretend that I was of a certain faith to get into a group.

I come from a highly religious family (United Pentecostal Church :) ), so am very familiar with the Bible and it doesn't make me uncomfortable at all. My DD understands that different people believe different things and that we respect their beliefs, don't argue or tell them they're wrong, etc., so she would be fine. And I've taught her that I do believe in a creator, so that wouldn't seem at all strange to her - she does, too.

I think I'll contact the CC group I was looking at. Thank you all so much for your help!

Have you considered starting your own secular homeschooling group? Maybe there are other people in the same boat as you looking for a more inclusive group. The secular homeschooling group I'm in only started 2 years ago. There are 5 families in it and I'm sure it will gradually grow larger. I'm Christian, but I didn't feel the need to have any additional faith support outside our church and I really like being exposed to different view points. The family who started the group has two children that are in 1st and 2nd grade now so they made the leap to start the group at the beginning of their homeschooling journey. We meet Thursday mornings from 10AM-12PM. Each family is responsible for planning events for one month (e.g. field trips, play dates, classes, etc.). I think the founding family did all the planning the first year (mostly play dates) to get stuff going. This month is my month to plan and we're doing a trip to a local fire house museum, a meet up at the park, a class at a nature center, and a rock/fossil class taught by one of the other parents. I think it's doable!

I think this would depend on how much Christianity you can "swallow" as part of your child's education. CC curriculum is Bible-based, and they make no apologies for their beliefs, nor are the topics up for debate...that is for families to handle on their own.

We had a secular, non-Christian family join our group and they just couldn't "hang"--they made it through about the first 2-3 months then dropped out because it was too "Christian" for them. No one "preached" at her. We all knew where she stood, but the curriculum wasn't suitable for her.