Menu

Silly vaccine question

Should doctors give 5 yr old children vaccines in their thigh or their arm? I was always of the assumption that either was fine, but a friend told me my doctor was wrong to give my daughter her boosters in her thigh. She said her doctor told her that. Do you think this is more of an opinion or do you think there is a medical basis for her statement? She tends to have strong opinions so I am not sure I should take her seriously, but we are going in for round two next month so I'm wondering if I should ask for arm injections.:confused:

From what I remember...... thigh is fine at any time, but arm injections need to wait until that deltoid muscle is well-developed. That can be around 5 years old or older especially if the child is on the slender side. This may have changed since I worked in a peds office, but that was the deal at that time.

You can give a thigh injection to an adult. She got her info messed up somewhere. Certain shots have to be in muscle (unlike insulin which goes into the fatty tissue). There is a muscle in the arm, but it is smaller so it would "hold" less medication. So, larger amounts need to go in the legs.

Guest keyley1090

It seems like she got her information a bit confused.

Children can only receive a shot in the arm once their Deltiod muscle is fully developed. Of course, every child is different, so every child's muscle will develop at a different time.

Anyone can get a shot in the thigh. Your child's doctor is your child's doctor and knows what is good for your child. Maybe your friend's child developed faster or what not but I have friends with strong opinions as well and understand what you mean when you're not sure if you should believe them.