Menu

Is TOG and CW together overkill? Would Biblioplan/CW be better?

KIN

I'm thinking about 5th grade although we aren't there yet! :) I like to have a long range plan in mind, even though it often changes! I guess it's fun for me to think about it all! :) Anyway, we currently do Biblioplan for history and will be starting WT and moving to CW. I've always thought I'd do TOG in 5th grade on up, but I'm now wondering if I should just stick with Biblioplan, do the Kingfisher outlining & mapping as suggested by SWB if I'll be doing CW. What do you say?

I basically had a very similar situation, and mine are currently 5th grade and 4th grade. I decided to go with the latter plan: Bibliplan round 2 and CW.

It came down to $$$, honestly.

I already had the Biblioplan, and I realized I owned a lot of the upper-level books recommended. Biblioplan worked just fine for us. Also, I already had CW and it was working too.

I decided not to spend lots of money fixing something that wasn't broken. I think I would've been torn between TOG's writing suggestions and CW. From what I've seen, the TOG writing suggestions are great, but for my children, they would have been too much in conjunction with CW.

You'll have to decide what will work best for you. Remember, there will *always* be great curriculum out there that you don't have time to do. It's hard to see it go by. But your children will be fine with either choice.

Remember, there will *always* be great curriculum out there that you don't have time to do.

I think I've had to learn this in every area of my life - I've learned it with money and activities. Now, I need to learn it with curriculum. :) I don't know why it didn't dawn on me! Thanks for the reminder and advice.

Kathy,

I am doing TOG and CW and I am using the TOG writing to support CW right now. Not sure if that piece will continue once we get to Homer.

TOG has a several things I wanted that I don't see Biblioplan having:

Teacher Notes

Writing instruction (topics yes, instruction no)

Philosophy

Woldview-TOG will dedicate weeks to China, Japan, India, Austraila, ect... and cover their world view at that time.

A focus and the tools to train your child into independent work.

I am unclear if the history portion of BP covers:

Missionaries-TOG covers them as they come up in history.

Church History-I am sure BP has some, but I suspect TOG is more in depth.

Fine Arts and Music

People study (Evaluations CD has the answers)

Hands on (weekly projects)

Grading Evaluations (Evaluations CD and Writing CD-takes you step by step through how to grade something).

This is not to talk you out of BP, but just to say you do get a lot for what you pay for with TOG. Plus I buy TOG used. ;)

If you are just looking for streamlined history then BP is your best choice. CW can be your focus. TOG just has so much that I don't want to miss, so if needed I will slow TOG down to where it is doable with CW.

Heather

Thanks, Heather. I'm going to have to give this some serious thought and get my hands on TOG at some point to figure this out. My dilemma is that I don't think I can do it all! ;) I can't have a music focus (with everyone taking lessons/practicing 1/day), language focus with Latin, hope to add Greek, CW, R&S Grammar, SWR, and a history focus with TOG. Or, can I? :) That is the question! I think I need to be able to say "Wow, adding Greek would be awesome, but I'm going to pass it up." Or TOG. Or whatever. Hmmmm, maybe I need a new thread to think this though! :) Thank you for helping me figure out what TOG has that Biblioplan doesn't.