Menu

Around the World: One Chapter Book at a Time (Book List!)

First of all, I wanted to say that this thread is a treasure trove! Thanks, Heidi, for sharing your list and starting the discussion! And thanks to everyone who has shared!

I have a few to add to the list. I'm linking each title back to my blog where I've reviewed the books. This is a mixture of YA and children's lit, but you should be able to tell that by the reviews.

Alabama: Leaving Gee's Bendby Irene Latham

Michigan: The Wanigan by Gloria Whelan

Indiana: A Girl of the Limberlostby Gene Stratton Porter

New York: My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George

New Hampshire: Miss Hickory by Carolyn Sherwin Bailey

Montana: Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson

Africa (can't remember which country):

Listening for Lions by Gloria Whelan

Akimbo and the Elephants by Alexander McCall Smith (there are many stories in the Akimbo series)

Madagascar: The Pirate's Son by Geraldine McCaughrean

Germany: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Armenia/Turkey: Forgotten Fireby Adam Bagdasarian--This is definitely a YA title, and it's more about history than it is about place ('though place definitely plays a part). It's set during the Armenian holocaust. I thought I'd include it, though, in case any needs a very compelling holocaust story outside of the Jewish holocaust.

Isle of Skye/Scotland/Hebrides--Mystery on the Isle of Skye

I hope this helps someone! I'm definitely subscribing to this thread! :)

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old but I wanted to revive it.

Anna Hibiscus series, (and the author has a detective series with a boy) - By Atinuke - set in "Africa" but really urban Nigeria, about an ordinary but sweet girl. Her mother is Canadian but seems to have culturally assimilated to a slightly weird degree but she does eventually travel to meet her grandma. Wonderful stories, and good for new readers who can read chapter books. They are available from amazon and bookdepository.

Btw Mater Amabilis has some suggestions for each year under geography. For example http://materamabilis.org/ma/the-curriculum/level-1a-2/